By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Open University - does anyone here have experience of it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Prigent10/12/2017 14:17:51
3056 forum posts
676 photos
7 articles

I've been wondering whether to try one of their courses. I don't think they have one on model-making wink 2 but I wonder if they offer military history?

Cheers, John

John Race10/12/2017 15:10:35
6590 forum posts
1376 photos

John.

I have a friend who had done a history deg with the OU. Had to go to Cambridge from south Lincs for the tutorials . She said it was a long winded affair but enjoyed the course. did it in unit sections, She did English Medieval History, and passed .

There are numerous courses on military history, but they seems to be focused on particular subjects, and ot certain dates. Can't see you having a problem with your literary experience.

Good luck .

John.

John Prigent10/12/2017 16:29:32
3056 forum posts
676 photos
7 articles

Thanks for that, John, it's good to know that the OU does cover military history. I've sent them a message briefly noting my particular professional background in business and of course my hobby of military history and the partial list of my books and articles on LinkedIn, asking what courses they offer that might suit me and what exemptions I could get. They claim to reply within two working days, so I hope to hear back soon. It could be anything from 'go away, you poser' to 'please come in and collect a degree in Business Studies' - but I don't want to study business matters again for a degree! Unless they have one aimed at charity work, which might be interesting since I'm newly appointed as a Trustee of a local charity.

Cheers, John

Tim Marlow10/12/2017 16:31:16
1318 forum posts
1035 photos

Hi John

I studied with them for seven years, but in the science faculty, not on the arts side. They are an excellent organisation in my opinion, but I'm biased as I got a BSc first class honours degree... I did do the Arts foundation course and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was a few years ago, and they only did degree courses. I think there are other options now. My impressions were that the written texts and multimedia stuff was first rate, but some of the tutors were a little less effective. Summer schools were a real blast. I would look at the site and if Anything sparks your interest go for it....

Cheers

Tim

John Prigent12/12/2017 19:16:42
3056 forum posts
676 photos
7 articles

Well, folks, the Open University is not for me! I've checked their website, and asked for their advice, and come up with a great big zilch in my search for an interesting course. Just as a beginning, it seems that every single course requires introductory modules aimed at making sure that students can actually understand English and count up to 10. That maybe a slight exaggeration, but not by much, What kind of uneducated idiots are they expecting - the snowflake type that infest so many universities but has never learnt how to think?? I looked for military history but only found courses that could only include military stuff by accident to explain regime changes in states, so those were no good. Then I looked at business studies, and shut the page rapidly for much the same reason. I was hopeful when I looked at charity studies, which I could have found useful as a newly-elected charity Trustee - but most of their attention seems to be on people wanting to 'do good' for children, which wouldn't be much good for me at Age UK East Grinstead & District, Even their writing courses are about creative writing and studying centuries-old fiction to see how they did it in those days - not much good to a non-fiction author with a trail of published books and articles. all done to meet commissions, not 'on spec' in the hope of selling them somewhere or other. And to cap it all, they refuse to accept that anything learnt more than 15 years ago is still in memories to be called up, so no exemptions from the waste-of-time initial modules - my professional Fellowship from 1983 would count any more than my GCEs from 1958. I don't propose to give them thousands of pounds for rubbish 'introductory modules, so they can kiss goodbye to my contribution to their funds.

Cheers, John

Tim Marlow12/12/2017 20:34:19
1318 forum posts
1035 photos

Hi all

As an OU graduate with a 150 IQ and a senior management position in a multimillion pound bio pharmaceutical company my experience with the OU is so far apart from John's that I do not know where to start in replying to this. All I would say is that if you are interested in sort of thing, take a look for yourself. Do not take John's view as gospel, because it isn't.

Thanks,

Tim

John Prigent12/12/2017 20:53:15
3056 forum posts
676 photos
7 articles

Oh, I agree with you Tim. Others' experience of the OU will vary according to what they want to study and how much they already know about that subject. I'm speaking from most of a lifetime's experience in investment analysis, investment management, senior management and executive appointments, years of service on company Boards, and negotiating with regulators, very senior civil servants and politicians up to Presidential level, so my view of what I need to learn probably varies from yours of what you needed to learn. So to be told that none of it counts toward credit for any course was somewhat startling. Is IQ relevant? If it is, mine was 164 last time I got an actual IQ figure; in other tests by employers I was just told that I was 'off their scale'.

Cheers, John

Tim Marlow12/12/2017 22:13:41
1318 forum posts
1035 photos

Wow John

With all of that behind you what did you possibly think you could learn from them 😜

John Race12/12/2017 23:23:39
6590 forum posts
1376 photos

John .

WellI think you have a degree in life mate, so don't fret . When I looked those courses were rather focused , maybe I should have made it cleared.

John

Sean Emmott14/12/2017 11:30:45
2233 forum posts
4431 photos
3 articles

In many ways I'm not surprised that you haven't found much of interest or relevance in the courses that you describe, since you are already knowledgeable and skilled in those areas. You might find more value in exploring a new area of interest. Psychology, social science or a traditional science, for example.

As for the requirements of the introductory module, I can see how that would be frustrating. However, I have a little training in educational theory and practice for adults (A merit in Leeds University's Post Graduate Certificate of Primary Care Education in 2001 cool) and these courses will have been devised with specific aims and objectives. Given that public money is involved in funding them I can well imagine that there are strict regulatory requirements imposed on entry criteria for students. I do sympathise with how you feel about this though. Working in one of the most regulated professions in the country, I know how much I hate what seems to me like unnecessary and demeaning administrative demands!

Another option would be the University of the Third Age, which would allow you the opportunity to give, as well as receive, knowledge.

beerbeer

Sean

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
HLJ December
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest