By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Zvezda 1/35 Panther D & 1/48 Pe-2

Sanctuary from the Xmas Madness!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dave Ward08/01/2018 15:39:12
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

Much progress - finally finished the tracks. I don't know why, but they took me a long time to finish!

d - track finish 01.jpg

d - track finish 02.jpg

I've added all the transparencies to the lower hull, and I'll finally be able to unite top and bottom - it's only dry fitted for now.

d - upperhull dry fitted.jpg

Then - onto the camo, this is green splotches/stripes over the dunkelgelb, looks like it was field applied by handbrush.

Dave

Dave Ward10/01/2018 13:20:45
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

First pass at the olive green camouflage stripes..................

d first pass camo 01.jpg

d first pass camo 02.jpg

Needs a second pass, the MiG paint don't brush too well ( or airbrush, in my experience! ), very streaky.

This early Panther has the complete front fenders - usually the front section was missing.

Dave

Dave Ward11/01/2018 13:37:23
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

Camouflage finished - detail painting, then, I'll have to spray a matt coat, as the green has a slightly gloss finish - then decals, then washes

d second pass 01.jpg

d second pass 02.jpg

After that tools/cables to add, then weathering to finish............

After the Panther, I'm going ahead with the Pe-2 build, rather than divert to the RAF100GB, it's not even halfway through January, so bags of time

Dave

John Race11/01/2018 16:11:13
6590 forum posts
1376 photos

Dave .

Pleased to see this as I have it in the stash, so booked marked.

Looks good to me, don't think I would try the camo in 1/35, that plane in 1/72 was enough for even with that putty.

John.

Dave Ward11/01/2018 16:18:50
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

John,

the camo is freehand - I find masking with putty more trouble than its worth, and since this is hard edged, a good paintbrush wielded carefully is quickest, at least it would have been, if the b****y paint, hadn't needed 3 attempts to cover the basecoat!

Dave

Dave Ward12/01/2018 15:47:20
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

Due to a logistics failure, I won't be able to finish the Panther until resupplied.... ( OK, I ran out of Matt Varnish! ).

Rather than having a modelling free weekend, I decided to start on the Zvezda Petlyakov PE-2

zvezda pe-2.jpg

This is a complicated model, it has a full interior, and you can build it with open bomb bay, and with the cowlings off the port engine.

I decided to build the exposed engine, and see how it looks, before committing to the open cowlings..

p - engine 01.jpg

p - engine 02.jpg

That's 40 odd bits so far, and about another dozen bits ( pipes, oil cooler ) to go. Fit is pretty good, the parts are delicate, so a new scalpel blade was essential - quite a few bits in a small assembly ( squares on the cutting mat are 10mm )

Dave

John Race12/01/2018 17:32:45
6590 forum posts
1376 photos

Dave .teeth 2

Always the same, if you did it by mistake it would have completely obliterated it .

I don't find some of Zvezda distructions, very clear, its alright for engineering types to under stand a couple of lines pointing at an axle and knowing where to put the steering arm but on my Zis 3 ton I've really struggled. Am I alone in this.

That engine looks good, nice to be able to see it .

John.

Dave Ward12/01/2018 18:41:06
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

John,

Personally, I don't find the Zvezda instructions that bad - just a bit physically small, but then again, I'm one of your 'engineering types'. I also have had a hand in preparing drawings and instructions for various bits of machinery, which helps. The later Zvezda models, with large number of parts, and complex assemblies are not for the beginner, but quite a challenge. I've still got a few Zvezda models in the stash, notably the new moulding T-35, which may figure in my 2018 build list

Dave

Dave Ward13/01/2018 12:03:07
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

OK The engine is finished, and primed - 52 parts!

p - engine primed 01.jpg

p - engine primed 02.jpg

A bit of clean up, here and there, and ready for detail painting.

The wings have internal radiators fitted - they have separate ailerons, and leading edges, that should help with clean up

p - wings bits.jpg

The wings can now be assembled......

Dave

Dave Ward16/01/2018 13:18:52
2713 forum posts
2704 photos

After re-supply, the Panther is rumbling to the finish line................

d pre weather 01.jpg

d pre weather 02.jpg

Only washes and weathering to go!

The Pe-2 engine has been detail painted

p engine painted.jpg

A sepia wash, and that's it for the engine. It will be put away carefully, and not added to the airframe until much later, as the mounting method looks a little fragile.

It's an unusual sequence of assembly - wings first - usually the fuselage kicks things off

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
HLJ December
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest