Sanctuary from the Xmas Madness!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Kevin Cole 116/01/2018 21:41:54
247 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Dave Ward on 12/01/2018 18:41:06:

John,

............ I've still got a few Zvezda models in the stash, notably the new moulding T-35, which may figure in my 2018 build list

Dave

Please do!

I love quirky early war tanks, and they don't come much quirkier than a T-35!

It's a really interesting oddball tank, a detailed build blog would be really nice. It's on my must buy list.

The Panther looks very good, and I must get one of those Pe-2 kits soon. Looking good so far.

Edited By Kevin Cole 1 on 16/01/2018 21:44:45

Dave Ward17/01/2018 16:06:42
2806 forum posts
2845 photos

I'm calling this finished..............

d - fin 01.jpg

d - fon 02.jpg

d - fin 03.jpg

d - fin 04.jpg

And a comparison with the old ICM Panther D model ( quite a few years on a shelf has faded the colours!!! )

d - zvezda vs icm.jpg

I have enjoyed this Zvezda model, the fit has been superb, not even a thought to using any filler. Instructions good, but could be a bit bigger. I lost my drive a bit on the tracks ( not sure why, they weren't difficult ), but once they were finished, it was plain sailing. The only thing I added was a set of PE grilles ( Eduard, for the Dragon model....). The tow ropes might be worked on, bit I'm happy with the result. I paid less than £25 for this model, delivered, good value, and is has kept me happily occupied! In comparison with the ICM kit - available at about the same price, there's not a lot to choose from - it would depend on price offers, and availability.

Now I can turn my full attention to the Zvezda Pe-2.................

Dave

John Race17/01/2018 16:33:11
6885 forum posts
1477 photos

Dave .

Looks good , interesting about the fading , was it kept in the light ? Don't like the thought of colours fading crying

John

Dave Ward17/01/2018 16:47:22
2806 forum posts
2845 photos

John,

the ICM panther was on a shelf in my spare bedroom, it gets the sunlight in the morning - odd, because it seems to be the only one that has faded like this! I can't remember what paint I used, it was done in 2015

panther fin02.jpg

Looking at the original picture ( above ), the Dunkelgelb seems to have lost it's yellow.

Dave

Peter Day 117/01/2018 16:51:44
6278 forum posts
1779 photos

More fine work Dave, and in my opinion, if you can tackle these complicated armour kits, which scare the life out of me, then a Miniart grenadier should be a doddle!

Peter.

Fernando Nijhuis17/01/2018 18:04:27
736 forum posts
619 photos

Great looking Panther Dave.thumbs up

And a nice start on the PE-2.

Looking forward to that one coming together.smile p

Fernando

colin bruce 117/01/2018 21:18:26
334 forum posts
38 photos

Dave,

What don't you like about the tow cables?

Colin

Dave Ward17/01/2018 21:41:55
2806 forum posts
2845 photos

Colin,

they just look a little weedy, and the moulded in bends look a bit too sharp.................just my thoughts, the ICM cables look about the right size, but moulded absolutely straight! ( only in the second picture [16:47] - the cable seems to have gone awol in the last 4 years! )

Dave

Dave Ward19/01/2018 16:00:26
2806 forum posts
2845 photos

Had more or less a lost day, yesterday, having spent 3/4 hour in the dentists chair! Numb gums, a headache, and an aching jaw ( from the dentist attempting to insert all her toolkit at the same time ), not to mention a hole in my wallet, I wasn't in the right frame of mind for any benchtime..............

Putting the wings aside for the moment on the Pe-2, I made a start on the fuselage - and only a start, there are a lot of bits, and sub assemblies, some of them very small

p  - port fuselage 01.jpg

Port fuselage - rear office - control rods added various boxes, brackets added. A problem will be painting, with large windows that have to be added from the inside, and a large machine gun that pokes out of a small port.

p - port fuselage 02.jpg

Drivers' cab small control linkages, and framework added, and the mounting ring for the dorsal turret. I still have the instrument consoles, pilots seat etc to fit here. The starboard fuselage is just as crowded, and another sub assembly, which has wing spar stubs, will fit between the front and rear compartments, and form the bomb bay.

It's a matter now of how far to go, before I paint the interior, and also the wonder of how much will be seen?

Dave

Edited By Dave Ward on 19/01/2018 16:01:12

Kevin Cole 120/01/2018 13:53:28
247 forum posts
51 photos

Very nicely detailed kit, this Pe-2! I will definitely have t acquire one myself, I've always liked them, and they're not well represented for some reason. Overshadowed by the IL-2 I suppose, but still an effective and very common plane on the Eastern front.

It does indeed look to need careful build/paint scheduling.

The Panther turned out very well. Strange about the earlier build fading like that, of course if it hadn't been pointed out no one would know it wasn't painted in the lighter colors. It still looks good.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ February
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest