By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Captured Autoblinda AB-41 (1/35)

Captured by Q Bty OC, 154th (LYPAO) FR RA, 154 brigade, 51st Higland div, 8th Army.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Gregory Mortara12/01/2018 17:01:44
496 forum posts
369 photos

IF I MAY... laugh

AHHHHH really love this one... FIAT Ansaldo

There is also this one that is one of my favourite used by the ARDITI CAMIONETTISTI basically special forces on trucks (the nemesis of the British SAS and LRDG).

The model 42 Desert Vehicle was developed for the Royal Italian Army (Regio Esercito) and was based on the chassis of the AB 41 armoured fighting vehicle. Over the course of operations on the African front, the need arose for a reconnaissance vehicle specially adapted to the desert conditions, where driving off-road required particular design features (large size tyres at low pressure, height from the ground, extensive autonomy) that were not present on vehciles then available. Design engineers eliminated the dual running direction typical of the AB 41 and the four-wheel drive. The vehicle was produced in two armament configurations: one with 20 mm canon and the other with 47/32 anti-tank weapon. Several dozen of these vehicles were produced. Following the loss of the North African colonies, the remaining AS 42s were re-deployed to the Italian mainland for the final defence. Following the end of WWII remaining vehciles were used by police forces until the 1950s.

Markings for 3 vehicles + color instruction manual. Includes resin cast pieces, rubber tires and photo etch parts. Three markings include options:

Regio Esercito, 123a Compagnia Arditi Camionettisti, Rome September 1943
Regio Esercito, 113a Compagnia Arditi Camionettisti, Sicily July 1943
Regio Esercito, Raggrupamento Sahariano, Tunisia 1943

as42 bis.jpg
as42 ter.jpg
Griff Morgan-Jones12/01/2018 22:47:09
248 forum posts
479 photos

The start of the Black & White technique base...

Griff Morgan-Jones14/01/2018 13:16:09
248 forum posts
479 photos

The CR Plus is working well on the coverage of the brushed on cam' outlines..... not the best paint job in the world...... but its looking OK.

Dave Ward14/01/2018 16:08:50
2859 forum posts
2905 photos

a captured vehicle probably wouldn't have a perfect paint job - it would have been painted in the field, maybe the correct colours, but with any brushes available!

Steve Jones 1214/01/2018 16:11:42
4098 forum posts
9187 photos

I dont know how much dust and weathering you are doing but usually the harshness of the camo lines will blend in nicely by the end of the process. What base coat colour are you using?

Griff Morgan-Jones14/01/2018 18:41:48
248 forum posts
479 photos

Thanks Dave

I will weather it down with washes, oils then give it a unifier of a clear orange then sand/earth pigments. The base colour is Lifecolor UA225 Light Stone 61 with an overlay cam' colour of SCC1a. The primer base was a black & white technique that shows through the light stone nicley. I didnt use a transparator because I didnt know how it would react with Lifecolor acrylics.

I gave the body x3 coats of Klear and I have added most of the decals..... i need to buy in some Inf Div decals that have the 51st InFDiv on the sheet now.

Griff Morgan-Jones15/01/2018 19:27:58
248 forum posts
479 photos

Whilst waiting for the 51st Inf Div decals to turn up I have done some filter work on the panels and also some weathering detail. once I have applied the final decals on the body i will give it an all over neutral wash. I think I will then do some oil work to put some light and shade into certain areas. Once that is sealed in ... its then onto some panel streaking. Then, when dry, flatten it down with the trusty rattle can Humbrol matt.

The plan is to do some good amount of powder work to build a sand/earth patina.... once that is done ... fuel stains into that etc.

I want that hot/cold desert effect on the metal..... crusty patina with a hint of early morning dew rust. A touch of graphite here and there to show some sand blasting on some leading edges. The warm colours with that rust hint should look appealing.

Edited By Griff Morgan-Jones on 15/01/2018 19:52:00

Griff Morgan-Jones16/01/2018 13:32:43
248 forum posts
479 photos

Griff Morgan-Jones18/01/2018 17:45:13
248 forum posts
479 photos

I have taken off the poorly defined original bolt heads and added new ones with the addition of the lower front bolts that are on the real thing. I dug out the Panzer Putty and this allowed me to put in some fine detail .....with no PE bits to rip off in the process!

Next, seal it and add the RAF roundel. 

Edited By Griff Morgan-Jones on 18/01/2018 17:49:43

Dave Ward18/01/2018 19:07:10
2859 forum posts
2905 photos

that's looking really good. I notice you haven't fitted the 'eyelids' over the headlights - or are they going to be fitted later?

The normal routine for vehicles was to externally strap on all sorts of useful kit, are you going to add anything peculiarly British, such as a Bren gun, or soup dish helmets?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest