Braille Scale 2018 {ST}

Small stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Steve Jones 1210/01/2018 17:01:46
4098 forum posts
9187 photos

Mr T

You are right about it being once battery operated. There is a video on you tube of it going up and down a length of track and the turret turning.

SimonT11/01/2018 06:18:01
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Sjors - thanks, just a few minor tweaks

Tim - no problem

Ross - not many parts so definitely an easy build

John - could have made the drive but since it will not be seen I decided not to waste the time. No idea on speed - I have been unable to find out anything about these things

Steve - HB do seem to have a thing with ex-motorised stuff. Their 1/16 range all used to be motorised/radio controlled

primed it with Halfords grey then gave it the usual black base coat

did this a couple of days ago but haven't had time to progress any further

I have managed to make a stencil for the odd shaped red stars by cutting them out of the decal sheet

John Race11/01/2018 08:06:20
7183 forum posts
1518 photos

All ways a good sign Simon when when we see paint appearing teeth 2

John .

SimonT14/01/2018 09:32:11
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Not sure about that John - the paint stage is a bit of a lottery

I have made a start though...

I didn't want to end up with a domestic appliance style brilliant white finish so I started off by dry brushing with vj deck tan

this is an off white with, as the name suggests, a hint of tan

this was followed by vj stencil, a whiter but still off white shade

lastly it got a little proper white flicked around

I tried to follow the slopes so the the streaks are going in the right direction

The star stencil made from the decal sheet didn't work so will have to rethink that - I do have some brass star stencils but the stars on this have elongated 'legs'

Paul Middleton 414/01/2018 09:54:26
124 forum posts

Excellent stuff Simon, armoured trains always catch my eye.

You are right, the Malmassari book is 'The' book to get, and I think I have seen it on offer with the recent re-print.

Paul Malmassari published quite a few of his drawings in Tankette in the past, but the book puts everything in one place and as it includes scale drawings, makes it a one-stop shop.

A life-time ago we had an enthusiast in the local MAFVA branch who built a powered two-turret Draisine using Airfix PzKpfw turrets. For some reason he replaced the turret pegs with household pins but the hole was a slack fit. At a model show in Cambridge he set up a length of track and had this unit racing up and down to the delight of the grockles, especially as the turrets wobbled around on each journey. Funny the things you remember....

Paul M.

SimonT14/01/2018 11:03:56
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Morning Paul,

The book was on offer at Amazon for £32.50 last week and I very nearly bought it - but it has gone up to £40 now - still around £10 cheaper than rrp

May have some of the plans then in old Tankettes - finding them could be tricky though

Wobbly turrets sound entertaining but a bit odd after going to the trouble of scratching a working train

John Race14/01/2018 11:43:53
7183 forum posts
1518 photos

Well a good start from here, are you happy with this outcome Simon .Nice case of paints there !

Scottie14/01/2018 15:09:20
6245 forum posts
864 photos
1 articles

​Looking mighty fine.

SimonT15/01/2018 06:25:44
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

John - it was ok up to this point. When I went to vj paints I bought two of their box sets - turned out to be a bit of a waste as haven't used a lot of them. Case is a Stanley storage box from diy shop intended for screws etc

Scottie - ta

Morning all,

had a go at hand painting the markings last night - oh dear

My hand is not as steady as it once was!

looks like Ivan had been at the vodka before they let him loose with the paint embarrassed

The one saving grace is that this is going to be heavily weathered - hopefully I can lose some of the crapness at the same time

For some reason the kit guide indicates putting the decals on the wrong end of the vehicle

John Race15/01/2018 06:36:06
7183 forum posts
1518 photos

Morning on a wet and windy one .

That writing , not much wrong there. Decals are sharply printed, where as one fed up Russian armed with a Woolworths lease and lend 2inch brush would have most likely slapped it on .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest