Tamiya kit with Eduard PE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Sean Emmott13/01/2018 12:59:26
2233 forum posts
4431 photos
3 articles

[Notes from the instruction sheet:]

The Supermarine Spitfire is regarded by many as the most beautifully designed single seat fighter to appear during World War Two. The Spitfire went through numerous major and minor changes throughout its long service life. Early improvements resulted in the Mk.V which became the most widely produced version of all Spitfires. The main improvements were the introduction of three wing armament configurations and the use of the more powerful Merlin type 45 engine. The most numerous Mk.V was the "b" winged version which had a mixed armament of two .303 browning machine guns and one 20mm cannon in each wing.

The Spitfire that demonstrated such superb performance over its homeland was also urgently required for operations overseas. One of the better known versions was the North African prepared variant, designated "TROP", for Tropical. The biggest problem in desert operations was the intake of abrasive sand into the engine, which quickly wore out moving parts. To overcome this difficulty a Vokes air filter was fixed over the carburetor intake. Although the filter was successful its large mass reduced the aircraft's speed. The problem was solved by the local maintenance unit stationed at Aboukir, who designed a smaller, more streamlined unit that equally effective.

I will be completing this model using decals from an Aeromaster sheet, "Defenders of Malta (part II)". The subject will be a Vb flown by Pilot Officer George 'Screwball' Beurling, 249 Sqn in 1942. Buerling, a Canadian flying with the RAF, became Malta's highest scoring ace with 23 and 1/3 victories. He shot down three Bf109s in one sortie during September 1942. Beurling was decorated with the DSO, DFC, and DFM and Bar. (For discussion)

george_beurling_vancouver_1943.jpg

Over time, I plan to build most of the aircraft on this decal sheet, and have already completed a Hurricane Mk.I:

mh001.jpg

Here are the extras I will be adding to the base kit and using to make it an easier build (the time saved by buying pre-cut masks is well worth the money to me!).

trop_spit_002.jpg

I've made a start on the interior. The base colour is British Interior Grey-Green from Alclad II's Mil-Spec range. Pre-thinned enamels ready for spraying. This was then drybrushed with a mix of base colour lightened with Titanium White oil paint. The protect the finish I sealed ith with Johnson's Klear and washed with a moderately heavy mix of Black and Burnt Umber oils.

trop_spit_003.jpg

trop_spit_004.jpg

beerbeer

Sean

John Race13/01/2018 14:27:50
6590 forum posts
1376 photos

Sean .

Although not a wingy person myself its great to watch these builds, I'm sure you will do another of your great detailed builds.

Mind you they don't have tracks so maybe I'm on the wrong courselaugh

John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
HLJ December
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest