By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Totally off topic (travel in SW UK, model boat shows?)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Camfield13/01/2018 21:17:17
1044 forum posts
168 photos

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Every time I go away my momentum to model gets reset to 0. And I decided to start over on the rack for my Matilda because I looked at it and it was a sorry mess. I hope to get back to it soon - I now have a little sheet of iron and some magnets to hold things in place which I'd like to try. EXCEPT that I just pulled something in my shoulder and visited a clinic today about it.

Aaaaanyway the above has nothing to do with this post whatsoever. face 20

After a chance comment my father made, when I was planning to go to a live vehicle event, I am now planning on a trip with my parents to the UK this June, with the only focal point being TankFest at the Tank Museum. We would otherwise be roaming through Dorset, Devon, and Cornwall.

My dad makes scale radio-controlled boats now, but he doesn't participate in any online forums. I was wondering if anyone knows of such? I am looking to find out if there are any RC model boat shows at that time in the area.

Also, any places you particularly like in those areas? I know there's a lot, so what about anything a little off the beaten track?

Robin Buckland13/01/2018 21:45:41
15509 forum posts
56527 photos
5253 articles
Hi Chris,
Tankfest is a superb show and well worth the visit but do remember to book tickets beforehand while they are still available. In recent years they sell out beforehand and you can't buy tickets at the gate on the day(s).

If you are in North Devon then you might like to try the Cobbaton Collection near Barnstaple, and details are in a feature in the Museum section from when Jay Wilkins visited a while ago, see his report here. Also near here, close to Braunton, are Saunton Sands, where the D-Day landings were practiced. Scenery in the area is first class so plenty to see in any trip.

As for RC Boats, then try the website and forum of on of Mil Mod's sister magazines, Model Boats. There is a link on the bottom of each page of this site but here is a direct link for you.
Hope that helps
Robin smile
Jon Heptonstall 113/01/2018 22:24:08
1488 forum posts
20 photos

There's a few Facebook groups for RC boats which may help.

Chris Camfield13/01/2018 23:50:27
1044 forum posts
168 photos

Very much obliged!

Jim F.14/01/2018 00:21:14
171 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Chris,

Tankfest is a great day out, Robin has given you some good pointers and dependent on how much time you've got you have Lulworth castle (stately home), the Royal Signals museum in Blandford Forum, the Royal Dorsetshire Regiment in Dorchester. One of my personel favourites in Dorset is a village called Tyneham which was evacuated during WW2 and used by the army, it was never handed back much to the locals displeasure, it is set in the middle of the Lulworth ranges which you drive through to get there, the army restored the schoolhouse and church and the area is now a nature reserve and you only have to pay for parking. The coastal area Robin mentioned in North Devon is a surfing mecca in the UK so forward planning might be needed to sort out accomodation but it would be a good place to stay if you are bringing children with you. Onwards South into Devon there is a beautiful coastal village called Clovelly which is run by the National Trust and it's a steep one street village that has remained unchanged for years.Robin mentioned the Cobbaton collection which is great for tank nuts but the exhibition areas are quite cramped. Further on into Devon you have Slapton Sands which was the scene of the tragic Operation Tiger, a local gained permission from the Americans in the early 70's to recover a Sherman DD and this now sits on the western end of the beach, about a mile East there is a memorial giving thanks to the people who were displaced to enable the Americans to conduct exercises prior to D Day.

I have loads more I can tell you but it depends on your itinery PM me if you're interested.

have a good trip regards Jim

Dave S 414/01/2018 00:22:06
561 forum posts
82 photos

If you can stretch up to Yeovilton, the Fleet Air Arm museum is great

Tim Marlow14/01/2018 08:40:13
1412 forum posts
1058 photos

Hi Chris

Agreed about Yeovilton, good day out there. There is also clouds hill near to Bovington. It was the home of T E Lawrence and has interesting memorabilia. Of course, just up the road is Salisbury, which has two model shops, the tallest cathedral spire in England,, the museum of the Wiltshire regiment, and Stonehenge......among other things. London is easily accessible from that area asa well, about two hours by train with a good service. Loads there !

Tim Marlow14/01/2018 08:45:42
1412 forum posts
1058 photos

Hi Chris

Just seen that there is a steam and vintage fair at Chickerell, which is relatively nearby (same county anyway). They advertise a marine modelling tent amongst other things. It is being held on 30Jun18 to 01Jul18, so might fit your itinerary?

Paul Middleton 414/01/2018 09:38:28
124 forum posts

Good Morning Chris,

As t'others have said, very lovely area of Britain, but June will find it mega-busy, so book everything now!

I've used Weymouth as a base in the past,It's a holiday seaside town so has plenty of accomodation of every genre and level. It was also the embarkation port for U.S. troops for D-Day and there are memorials along the prom with comparison photos.

Across the harbour is the Nothe Fort, well worth a couple of hours visit

across the Chesil Beach is the island of Portland that has plenty of Victorian fortifications and scenic views (especially round the lighthouse) between Portland and weymouth is Portland Harbour which has a couple of Mulberry lumps in it and Portland Castle next to the Heliport

As stated by Tim, just up the main drag from Bovington is Cloud's Hill former home of T.E. Lawrence, now a National Trust place to visit.

North of Weymouth is Dorchester, a delightful town with several museums including the Dorset Regiment in the Keep.

The Royal Signals Museum at Blandford Forum is excellent and includes a Dorchester ACV and a FV438 (IIRC) and numerous other vehicles/bikes as well as a lot of Scaley exhibits. NB you will need ID/passport to get in as it is in the camp.

Again, the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton is well worth a visit, but get there early, it fills up!

Further west I don't know apart from Cobbaton which is very 'busy' with exhibits, inc. film props. Never been myself.

I haven't been to Cornwall in over 50 years so cannot offer advice.

If you are prepared for a sparrow-fart start and train into London, you can easily fill the day(s) with IWM Lambeth, HMS Belfast, RAF Museum, Cabinet War Rooms etc. Last year I took an Argentinian work colleague who was visiting from L.A. and planned a complete trip round to the tourist spots on the tube. He was happy with a memory card full and I was knackered, but that was starting out from North Hertfordshire so a lot closer.

One other bit of advice is to check out second-hand bookshops, charity shops and remaindered shops like 'The Works'. In the latter (locally) were the Haynes manuals on Sherman, Tiger & Chieftain @ £6 each, and 'By tank to Normandy' for £3 amongst others. Of course you will have the challenge of weight when finding 'souvenirs'!

Model shops are like rocking horse manure these days, google search will help.

For your Dad I found :

Paul M.

Chris Camfield14/01/2018 12:57:55
1044 forum posts
168 photos

Much obliged all!! Maybe we can somehow get to TankFest and the Chickerell Steam & Vintage show.

I wonder whether us Colonials can access the Royal Signals Museum or if you need a UK passport? I think I might have been able to get one once upon a time (both my parents were born in the UK during the war) but I've never pursued it.

Non-military suggestions especially welcome... I might be able to get my parents to drop me off at one place while they go somewhere else, but my mother's interest in such things is absolutely nil. She's very interested in the Elizabethan period for what it's worth.

I have my eye on a used bookstore in Plymouth with a couple of titles I could buy through abebooks... but if I could avoid paying postage? Though the weight of "souvenirs" is an issue, good point Paul!

I had no idea about T.E. Lawrence's house, or Clovelly, or Cobbaton!

Places did visit way back in 1991: HMS Belfast, Fleet Air Arm Museum, Salisbury Cathedral (I'm pretty sure)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest