By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

SimonT14/01/2018 08:32:50
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Morning all,

I have left the title deliberately vague as I don't really know exactly what will be entered

There are a few ideas on the boil - one, a figure I had earmarked for this GB, has failed to start as I have been unable to find it!

First attempt will be this

as you can probably tell by the state of the box it has been in the stash for a considerable time

the reason for this is that it has a few problems, largest of which is that none of the main parts fitted together properly

I had a few attempts before throwing it back in the stash

just after I purchased the resin/white metal version they released an all resin version - Dartmoor gave me some new resin parts but they still didn't fit very well. The resin windscreen is now broken after I attempted to disassemble things

I am hoping that a considerable number of years down the line I may be able to resurrect this box of odd bits and turn out something that looks a bit like an RAF Land-rover

So far I have just chopped the metal windscreen in two so that I can correct the rake and get it to reach the door frames

Si Benson14/01/2018 08:58:23
3896 forum posts
974 photos

Morning Simon,

I had wondered if you’d be hacking up a pile of stuff for the GB, glad you’ve not disappointed wink 2

Looks like a suitable subject for a Mr T chop-athonthumbs up

SimonT14/01/2018 09:37:55
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Hi Si,

I am hoping that all the chopping practice I have had since this went back in the stash will allow me to get a bit further this time - but don't hold your breath as it could all go horribly wrong face 20

Paul Middleton 414/01/2018 09:43:16
124 forum posts

Morning Simon,

I built this one many years back, it was a real PITA, but I managed to mangle it into a fair representation for my low standards. It was intended for the still ongoing project of my Signal troop circa 1981, 'Lulubelle' being a favorite as you could really cane it on the open road......(and get airborne on hump back bridges!)

Looking forward to seeing how 'The Master' gets on with it. They did some suitable '80's era figures as well.

Paul M.

SimonT14/01/2018 11:22:07
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Hi Paul - good to know it wasn't just me having problems with this kit

It comes with a reasonable looking figure in a beret and standard woolly jumper

Having failed to build this before it will be interesting to see if I can manage it this time around

SimonT15/01/2018 06:43:38
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Morning all,

I started attacking this thing last night

here is the nice simple assembly sheet you get - if only it actually went together as easily!

the invoice was at the bottom of the box - says I bought this in 1994

the rake of the windscreen didn't match that of the doors so I cut off the lower vent panel

the vent panel was then CA'd to the cab and drilled and pinned to accept the windscreen

I then spent ages filing the internal surfaces of the door and frame to get a reasonable fit with the windscreen

the lower rear edge of the door was reshaped in order to get the rear half of the body to fit as the door was too wide for the aperture

I packed the resulting gaps with plastic card off cuts and CA to strengthen the join between the two halves of the body then smeared some filler over the top

may not look quite so bad once it has all been tidied up

the rear suspension was cleaned and CA'd into place

the front suspension hanger is moulded solid and in metal so it took a while to open out

test fit with the tilt - this has already been cut in half, sanded to remove around 2mm and re-joined when I last attempted this kit years ago

out of the box it is all rather chunky and wider than it needed to be

the sides have been thinned down on the inside

it will still need some fettling but it looks nearer than it once did

Hooch15/01/2018 08:07:09
431 forum posts

Holy Moly, youre racing through this!

Andy Claesens15/01/2018 09:41:06
10986 forum posts
9945 photos
16 articles

Good Morning Simon,

Despite the issues you're going well so far.

I'm definitely in for this one. We only had one of these on our Squadron in the early Eighties and it was a great little beast. Why not do it stripped down?

Mike Mortimore15/01/2018 11:28:37
1326 forum posts
1113 photos

Hi Simon,

Your certainly cracking on with this. One of my favorite vehicles I drove when in the Royal Marines.

Will look good in RAF colours.......

Cheers Mike dogdogdogcat

John Ballard15/01/2018 12:29:09
3562 forum posts
1165 photos

You definitely like to make life hard for yourself. Bravo for putting your outstanding skills to work on this sow's ear.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest