My 'Home Made' Zimmerit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SimonT16/01/2018 00:55:10
11640 forum posts
9479 photos

Looks to have worked rather well Ron

I agree that the bought and the pre moulded on stuff tends to look a bit neat

There is a photo in Ryton Panther in detail book of a Panther in the factory in bare unpainted zim. The glacis plate is far from neat

SimonT

Richard Foenander16/01/2018 02:25:22
3857 forum posts
4633 photos

Hi Ron,

It has turned out really well. My pet peeve on using Polyfilla straight in the past was that any break offs will show a stark white under the paint and this was in 1977 whan I saw one applied on a Stug. I've grown up and realised colors can be mixed into the plaster...Duh!face 20 and wondered why I haven't used it since.

I think it's a great material for zim. Now it comes in various colors. Thanks for sharing this. The simplest materials can be found right under your nose.smile

Cheers,

Richard

spanner57016/01/2018 09:44:05
960 forum posts
1181 photos

Thanks to all for your excellent comments boys. I'm well happy you approve of my attempt at 'Zim'

A couple of responses....

John - Regarding the ratio mix. The PVA mix I used for this was some stuff I'd previously mixed to seal my diorama surfaces, so I don't know the ratio. i would suggest a 50/50 mix as a good starting point. I wouldn't worry too much about the powder / pva mix, just mix it to a workable paste - remember to work quickly!

Kevin Cole 1 - "Pity it takes so long to do." i don't understand. The bit in the pictures only took 5 mins. - unless it was a gentle leg pull, of course.......

Thanks again chaps.

Ron

spanner57016/01/2018 15:04:45
960 forum posts
1181 photos

....sorry, my reply to Kevin came out a bit wrong, and reads kind'a pompous!

It is meant to read 'The bit in the picture has to take five minutes.

Anything less, and you're up a gum tree. I hope this clears things up.

Cheers,

Ron

spanner57016/01/2018 16:23:30
960 forum posts
1181 photos

I really should go to specsavers!

My last blithering should of course read, wait for it -

'Anything more' - not less!

I give up...

Lewis Mrotzek16/01/2018 23:28:17
65 forum posts
47 photos

Looks great, I agree about the look of "neat" Zimmerit, I love the idea of a commander quickly slathering it on after a stop at a FOB.

Lewis

Calvin White17/01/2018 14:06:22
3 forum posts

Wow mate,that looks great.how time consuming was it with the stick,I thought about trying a clipper wheel without the Flint in,but think it's spaces are to short for 1.35 scale..

spanner57017/01/2018 14:42:43
960 forum posts
1181 photos

Thanks Lewis and Calvin. I'm glad you like it.

Calvin - I used the stick just to trowel the stuff on before adding the pattern. You could use anything suitable, but the cocktail stick was just lying about on the work bench.

Thanks again chaps.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ February
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest