All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Tim Marlow16/01/2018 21:06:56
1375 forum posts
1055 photos

Hi all

Time to start this little beauty.....

7j3a1754.jpg

I will be using this as my source of prototype information. It's great, just what you need to recreate this great aircraft. The "crikey" nickname was apparently due to the Shell advert of the time, "Crikey, that's Shell that is" which emphasised the speed you could get with Shell fuel.

7j3a1766.jpg

Destruction header....fairly simple looking kit with 70 parts.

7j3a1755.jpg

I'll get to the sprue shots in a minute, but these are the decals. they need substantial improvement in my opinion, some of the colours are suspect, and the ident letters are simply wrong.....so....

7j3a1760.jpg

7j3a1761.jpg

7j3a1762.jpg

7j3a1763.jpg

I went mad.....I think these cost more than the kit Couldn't find an aftermarket set simply for this aircraft, which was a real shame.

Back with sprue shots in part two.....

Cheers

Tim

Tim Marlow16/01/2018 21:13:11
1375 forum posts
1055 photos

OK, sprue shots soon......

7j3a1756.jpg

I bought the cockpit enhancement set from Eduard. I have used these before and really like them for the crispness they give to the build.

7j3a1765.jpg

I thought the wheels looked a little anaemic, so bought replacements from Barracuda...and that is all of the aftermarket bits I will use.....

7j3a1767.jpg

Fuselage sprue,

7j3a1768.jpg

Prop sprue,

7j3a1769.jpg

Engine nacelle sprue....

7j3a1770.jpg

And the wing sprue......

7j3a1771.jpg

Close up showing the surface detail. It is really nice and subtle, should look great when complete.....

Well tomorrow I start sticking plastic.....Wizard....

Toodle pip chaps, chocks away.....

Tim

John Race17/01/2018 00:03:33
6885 forum posts
1477 photos

Tim I say chappie that's a jolly pretty looking thing eh.

I shall grab a pew and look in .

GC

SimonT17/01/2018 01:41:16
11640 forum posts
9479 photos

Hi Tim,

70 parts is comprehensive compared to the ancient Airfix one I found in my stash at the weekend (and considered building for all of a microsecond) while looking for something else face 20

SimonT

Lewis Mrotzek17/01/2018 04:47:01
65 forum posts
47 photos
Simon,

I'll be watching like a' 109

Looking to be a great build.

Lewis
Andy Claesens17/01/2018 14:36:35
10986 forum posts
9945 photos
16 articles

Tim,

Count me in for this one definitelythumbs up

Andybeer

Sean Emmott18/01/2018 10:09:13
2257 forum posts
4523 photos
3 articles

Hi Tim,

This is one of my favourite aeroplanes. It's amazing to think that if there hadn't been delays and problems with the Peregrine engines for the Whirlwind, it would have gone into production in favour of the Spitfire!!

I built the Classic Airframes kit a little while ago

ww 034.jpg

In fact, Tim, you were the first person to comment on the blog, and you mentioned you had this kit in your stash!

I'm glad you are replacing the kit decals. My first thought as I began to read your blog was the kit decals looked well below par. The Eduard etch will add a lot to the build, I am sure. I'm really looking forward to following this blog. Thanks for choosing this kit!

beerbeer

Sean

jimbo18/01/2018 12:33:01
14121 forum posts
2693 photos

Hi Tim

To my shame I had not heard of this plane before. The sprue shots look very nice. At this scale it is gonna be a big'un smile p

Jim

Tim Marlow18/01/2018 13:34:40
1375 forum posts
1055 photos

Hi all, wow, interest before I even stick plastic.....

John, nice to see you.

Simon, built that as a kid, sparked my interest in this one to be honest...

Lewis, if you were in a 109E could could watch this fly away....it was about 20mph faster.

Andy, nice of you to join us...

Sean, I remember it well.....interesting that the decals are of the same aircraft isn't it...wonder if Trumpeter copied them? The box art from yours is also the cover art from my reference book....crikey, it's a small world an' no mistake....

Jimbo, welcome aboard. Actually its only marginally wider than a Hurricane....my first twin engine build at this scale though...

Start on the plastic tonight....

Bang on....

Tim

Sean Emmott18/01/2018 13:40:18
2257 forum posts
4523 photos
3 articles
Posted by Tim Marlow on 18/01/2018 13:34:40:

Sean, I remember it well.....interesting that the decals are of the same aircraft isn't it...wonder if Trumpeter copied them? The box art from yours is also the cover art from my reference book....crikey, it's a small world an' no mistake....

I think it's because only a couple of squadrons operated the Whirlwind, and there are very few contemporaneous photos of the type. So kit manufacturers are necessarily limited in their resources when choosing subjects.

beerbeer

Sean

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ February
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest