By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Revell Harbour Tug Boat

An attempt to show a rusty, abandoned boat.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jimbo20/01/2018 15:37:26
14243 forum posts
2711 photos

Hi all

Some of you may have good enough memories and been MilMod members long enough to remember *THIS* . It is Richard Foenander's wonderful tug boat build from 2011

I was very impressed and at the time, by chance, saw the kit for sale cheaply and bought it for £8. It has sat at the bottom of my little stash ever since. I like the idea of modelling a rusty, derelict, abandoned something and this seemed to offer possibilities. Something like these (for reference only)

reference 1.jpg

reference 3.jpg

reference 5.jpg

Anyway I dug out the kit. It is very old. In fact I think it originally dates from 1955.

reference 8.jpg

On the bottom of the hull from my kit it says 1979

It is moulded in bright red plastic and is a strange scale 1/108. The latest box art is rather nice.

I have made a start and I'll post up progress to date. This may not go well as the picture I have in my mind may not equate with my abilities face 20

I hope some of you may feel it worth dropping in from time to time. I can justify modelling this because, as was  said on Richard's build, tugs were used to move warships around in harbour thinking

Edited By jimbo on 20/01/2018 15:40:21

Scottie20/01/2018 15:42:56
6232 forum posts
883 photos
1 articles

​You sell your self short mate I am sure you will make a cracking go of this. If it can be glued together then it can be shown on here. I will be popping in to follow along.

Steve Jones 1220/01/2018 18:26:31
4098 forum posts
9187 photos

I agree with Scottie. This is going to be a wonderful challenge for you and the rusty look is a great idea. Good luck my friend

Peter Day 120/01/2018 18:57:20
6424 forum posts
1882 photos

A lovely idea Jim. I'm off to Cornwall at the end of next week - plenty of rusty buckets down there.

john hutton20/01/2018 19:19:20
4537 forum posts
1793 photos

Remembering the excellent job that you did with your Lifeboat project a while back , i will definitely be in for this one, can`t beat a derelict thumbs up. Here is a couple of pictures i took some time back in Gloucester Dock of a rusty hull, might come in handy wink 2.

recent 560.jpg

recent 561.jpg

John Race20/01/2018 19:19:28
7166 forum posts
1510 photos

Count me in, waders at the ready Jim .

It will be great , whats not to like about RUST laugh

Dave Ward20/01/2018 19:41:19
2858 forum posts
2905 photos

Good luck with this, Jim - It'll be interesting to see how you get on with this beast - the moulds are actually older than me! ( Long Beach - 1955 )

John Ballard20/01/2018 19:43:36
3560 forum posts
1173 photos

Excellent choice for an unusual subject. This will be one that you can really go to town on, and I for one am looking forward to the results.

Si Benson20/01/2018 20:08:43
3896 forum posts
974 photos

Evening Jim,

I remember Richard doing the tug boat....a brilliantly done piece. Enjoyed it so much I put one in my shopping basket way back thensmile p

Well you have my undivided attention now and if your last builds are anything to go by, this be a winnerbeer

Sean Emmott20/01/2018 20:39:39
2262 forum posts
4584 photos
3 articles

Hi Jim ol' pal. I look forward to following this. I like your blogs. Every time you start a new build, you set yourself a new, specific challenge and obviously this time you are exploring rust and weathering.

I think the unusual scale is because at one time some models were produced to a scale that would allow the parts to fit to the box, rather than building to a standard scale such as 1/72 and designing the box around that.

Hope the family are well and that you will be joining us at Cosford this year.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest