1/16 Para Padre

My first attempt at a 1/16 bust

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick T.06/03/2018 10:54:49
69 forum posts
34 photos

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at a larger type subject. It is a work in progress. I have tried to make his face seem a little grubby with action. I thought i had done an ok job until I zoomed in on the photo's. Please can I get some recommendations on the best magnifyer and light set up. (think I'm going to need one) Anyway hope you like my attempt and as always comments welcomed.20180305_093552-1.jpg

20180305_093559-1.jpg

20180305_093604-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Nick T.

Jason Crausby07/03/2018 15:04:10
646 forum posts
523 photos

Hi Nick,

Well done... I found when I first did a bust that the increase in scale makes it a more difficult task but recently I dont seem to do anything else. I use an optivisor rather than a magnifier as such but its personal preference I guess

I found a good guide online to help with the skin tones and that made a difference for me...its a step by step guide from life miniatures!

Keep em coming!

Jason.

Peter Day 107/03/2018 15:11:26
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Great stuff Nick. Well done.

Peter.

Richard Pearce 107/03/2018 15:35:38
1075 forum posts
21 photos
Great start Nick.Great subject to paint and you are among a few figure guys who will help you with any tips etc.
Keep painting them figures.
All the best from Richard
David Appleton07/03/2018 16:58:43
377 forum posts
944 photos

Nick this may help **LINK**

I use a magnifier light but I think I am in a minority, it's a case of trial and error and see what suits you best.

This is the sort of thing I use not the exact light **LINK**

As I said I am a minority with this so Caveat emptor.

David

john hutton07/03/2018 20:22:57
4666 forum posts
1831 photos

Nick,

Very nice work on your first 1/16th bust thumbs up. I have started working on the same bust, but he has been on hold for some months now. Is this a recent purchase ? as i thought these were out of production. If it is any help, i have found a rather good sbs video on You Tube of a chap painting a 1/16th mini bust. Cannot create a link direct but if you go to You Tube and type in Officer 1/16th Windhund division mini bust , it should come up. As for seeing what to paint , my old eye`s need all the help they can get so i end up in glasses , Optivizor and magnifier light nerdface 20. Looking like you are well on the right track mate wink 2.

John.

Nick T.08/03/2018 13:16:39
69 forum posts
34 photos

Hi All,

Jason - I see that a cheep plastic optivisor is available so I may get one to try it out thanks for the advise.

Peter - No where near the quality of your work but enjoying trying - thanks for your comments.

Richard - thanks for your comments, just got a 1/35 old tamiya panzer to try for something different.

David - Like the idea of a magnifyer but as above going to try a cheap optivisor first, thanks for your help.

John - I know my efforts are still quite amatuerish in comparison but hopefully will get better. The bust was off ebay and not sure if its legit just came in a plain box with a printed picture on. Bought it as cheap and to practise on with a ss schutze winter 1941 stormtroopers package.

As always thanks for the kind comments and advice.

Nick T.

Nick T.22/03/2018 15:42:13
69 forum posts
34 photos

Hi All,

I have been steadily working away at the Para Padre and have now finished him. I am quite happy with the result for a first bust and hope you like it. Again lots learned and much fun. Comments welcomed and any advice or links on how to make a simple dio base for a panzer (desert I think) would be greatly appreciated.

para padre 1.jpg

para padre 2.jpg

para padre 3.jpg

As always thanks for looking.

Nick T.

john hutton22/03/2018 20:20:44
4666 forum posts
1831 photos

Nick,

Very nicely done mate thumbs up, like the camo on thre jacket. See you did a great job on the Zip too, i found that a bit tricky following the curves across his chest . A good job done and ready for the SS figure wink 2, is that the one with his arms wrapped around his chest against the cold ?

John.

Nick T.23/03/2018 15:16:17
69 forum posts
34 photos

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. My skills are not great but its a lot of fun learning. The zip disappeared at one point only to reappear further along so was a challenge.

I think the SS figure is the same one (arms wrapped) but I'm leaving that one for now. I really want to invest in a figure with big wide open eyes area so that that I can practice painting them a bit easier. The SS figure looks quite difficult.

My next project is an old classic Tamiya Panzer in 1/35th. I also want to make a simple desert base for it so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks again,

Nick T.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ February
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest