By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Building a vintage 1969 Issue Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf A.

Having a fun time for under a Tenner + a bit of plastic card!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scottie12/03/2018 17:36:23
6232 forum posts
883 photos
1 articles

​Top work with the zimmerit Nice touch with the exhausts I can't help thinking a drill would have been easierwink

spanner57012/03/2018 19:42:39
1004 forum posts
1202 photos

Thanks boys.

Glad you both approve of the zimmerit.

Scottie - I don't possess a fine enough drill and being impatient to push on, I decided to ream them out with the point of my scalpel. I managed to get away with it - This time!

Slotty12/03/2018 22:31:01
29 forum posts

I have done three of these recently, as well as rebuilding my original (my first too back in 1970) and the jagd panther equivalents but I took the difficult path of putting in the horizontal sponsons instead of your novel vertical approach. You've made life a lot easier for yourself. Believe me, getting horizontal sponsons to fit both lower and upper hulls simultaneously can drive you nuts. I did it with the 1:25th jagdpanther Tamiya Mokei version but that was no easier.

Kevin Cole 113/03/2018 15:27:01
262 forum posts
51 photos

I've got one of these to build as well, though I think I'll skip the zim.

Great work so far, carry on.

spanner57013/03/2018 21:46:53
1004 forum posts
1202 photos

Thanks Slotty and Kevin.

Slotty - Sorry, but I don't know what sponsons are relative to my tank,so I'm a bit baffled by your post. Can you post just what they are so I can learn a bit more about the Panther as I progress through the build?

Kevin - With or without the zimmerit, I'm sure you'll make an excellent job of your own Panther, and I will look out for the start of the build.

Thanks again for your posts, chaps.

Hooch14/03/2018 07:22:30
431 forum posts

Sponsons are the joining boards of the upper and lower hull.

"All the suspension is moulded on. There is a huge open gap in the hull sides, so if not filled, it's possible to see daylight right through just above the tracks. A bit of thin plastic card cured this. I then slurried some cheap acrylic paint on the model to dull down the white plastic."

The space would store ammunition and such.

SimonT14/03/2018 08:10:01
11700 forum posts
9551 photos

Hi Ron,

The sponsons are the areas of hull that sit over the tracks - visual aid above is of my Panther undergoing its rebuild with them being boxed in

As Hooch says, generally used for ammo storage

spanner57014/03/2018 09:47:13
1004 forum posts
1202 photos

Thanks to Hooch and SimonT for your information. Much appreciated.

Through my ignorance, I didn't fill in the underside space referred to in Simon's picture. But luckily it won't be seen...Phew!

The bit I did fill in is on the vertical surfaces of the hull.(See early pictures) If I had not done this then you could see right through from side to side above the tracks. It would even have been possible to see the commanders boots as he stood in the turret hatch!

Anyway, all is good and thank you both for increasing my very limited knowledge of the Panther.

spanner57014/03/2018 10:08:13
1004 forum posts
1202 photos

Next step was to start to blend in the stark white zimmerit. For this sort of application I always use cheap, in little tubes, children's poundshop acrylics. I don't see the point in using good, and relatively expensive modeller's paints for this kind of work.

Once I'm happy that everything is reasonably blended in, then I will use the 'Proper' paints.....

Here is the first coat.

I've left patches off, and with my finger, I've dabbed the surface here and there to give the coating a worn look

I did the zimm. first, then added the exhausts. Apart from both big storage boxes, all the rest of the detail is moulded on.

If you think this looks rough, you should see some photos of the real thing!.......surprise

Thanks for looking.

Edited By spanner570 on 14/03/2018 10:08:41

jimbo14/03/2018 12:35:32
14243 forum posts
2711 photos

Hi Ron

Coming on well. That zimm of yours really looks great.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest