4X2 Cargo Truck (Tamiya)

First part of potential Tiger 1 Diorama

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Ball 214/04/2018 15:02:06
7 forum posts
39 photos

Hi Hooch

The ATG diorama was 4 years ago, but it would have been Tamiya paint on the figures (I never can resist alcohol...)

There's all sorts of stuff on the building and rubble, including oils

I piled a lot of brick and rubble dust on at the end, also it has four years of accumulated hobby-room dust (who on earth dusts dioramas !) - I suspect the apparent colour difference is a mix of theres more dust on their heads, plus the odd lighting

I think the MG is covering their collective backsides. Judging by the elevation on the PAK there's nothing too near them anyway !

ALan

Alan Ball 214/04/2018 19:35:32
7 forum posts
39 photos

Folded and fitted the three chassis cross-member replacements (including end plates that are not visible in teh photo)

Just thinking "this PE fits rather well" when I looked at the next step. The sides of the H-shaped member that fits across the chassis (and is completely replaced by an assembly of 3 PE parts) are about 2mm longer in PE than plastic, which means they won't drop into the notches in the chassis. If I chop 2mm off the end, I'll lose the nicely detailed rim thats in the PE. Guess I'll have to cut in the middle and ensure paint eventually hides the join

Hope this isn't a sign of PE accuracy problems to come...

Bah

img_1181.jpg

(the PE chasis members aren''t really at weird angles - it's the rubbish camera phone)

Scottie14/04/2018 19:39:46
6382 forum posts
874 photos
1 articles

Alan,

​You have set yourself a might task and I am keen to follow and see how you deal with it all.

​Scottie

john hutton14/04/2018 21:24:20
4666 forum posts
1831 photos

Alan,

Firstly , like to say hello and welcome to MillMod thumbs up, lucky you retiring , i talked myself into another year + sad.

Like the Diorama sir, very effective yes. You have taken on quite a task with the Blitz, which so far is going fine by looks of things wink. They do seem to lend themselves to upgrades .

John.

joe smith16/04/2018 02:21:16
80 forum posts

interesting build. could anyone share information why the truck is classified as a "4 x 2" rather than a "6 x 2"?

wouldn't the former only have a single set of wheels on the rear axle?

thanks

Scottie16/04/2018 11:53:20
6382 forum posts
874 photos
1 articles

Joe,

​It's not the amount of wheels per axle it is the number of axles and how many of those axles are driven hope this helps.

Scottie

Alan Ball 218/04/2018 16:56:52
7 forum posts
39 photos

The PE is definietely at the limits of my skill/eyesight/sanity !

Ended up using the kit part for the "H" cross member (it's actually the spare wheel support). With a bit more thought I could have just cut the ends off the PE cross members to correct the length, as the lost edge detail is hidden anyway after assembly. The kit part actually has slightly more detail anyway - the only advantage of the PE is it's a bit thinner and sharper-edged. Makes you wonder how they decide what to replace with PE - the Eduard kit is quite different, and doesn't touch the chassis

On to the chassis-mounted tollbox (I assume that's what it's for). The single kit part is replaced by umpteen PE parts. No problem assembling the basic box, but when trying to clean up the sub-microscopic latch, I remembered what can happen if you apply pressure to one edge of a small PE part. Its in the workshop somewhere is all I can say.... Managed to find a replacement from PE scrap, but there's no way I can make a hole in it for the padlock to go through - I suspect I can make that look convincing (you need about x3 vision to see it frankly)

Multiple attempts to satisfactorily make the hinge along the bottom edge of the (non-functional!) drop-down front only resulted in a lot of blue air and a couple of majorly b******d PE parts (with no hope of creating replacements). Ended up just attaching the plates with screw detail - it's still more than the kit part has

Folded the frame that the box sits in and glued it to the box (I have no intention of making the box demountable).

Just leaves the padlock to be attached (which lost some of its hasp at some point just to add to the fun), and then attach the whole to the chassis

img_1182.jpg

Comparison of kit and PE toolbox - ratty camera-phone can;t focus any closer I'm afraid

img_1185.jpg

I think the answer to PE may be a cohort of trained ants...

Scottie18/04/2018 17:06:12
6382 forum posts
874 photos
1 articles

Allen,

​I find it better sometimes to just enhance what the kit gives you, for example the tool box the basic box is ok but add the latch and hinge to that it is easier and will look just as good the only time I use a PE box is if I plan to show the lid open and then I tend to make it if I can from Plastic sheet. Bravo for sticking with it the effects are looking good.

Scottie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ February
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest