By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Mud

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Knott17/09/2007 16:36:00
13 forum posts

I'm doing a diorama of ww1, a trench scene, but i don't know what to use as mud.

I'm thinking paper-mache but i don't have a clue

Advice would be appreciated

Deano17/09/2007 16:42:00
6127 forum posts
2112 photos
11 articles
Reading another thread here Linseed putty was used.Not tried it yet but ive got a tub ready to go!
Ross O'Neill17/09/2007 17:19:00
96 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Michael

There are a couple of options that I have found which create a mud effect.

I used to use a combination of play pit sand, PVA glue and brown emulsion paint (just a tester pot) or more recently I have started to use sand and brown tile grout.

Best regards

Ross

Michael Knott17/09/2007 17:30:00
13 forum posts

thanks!

I'll have a look at that one

Recently though i was thinking of using garden mud?

Will that work?

creading17/09/2007 17:33:00
406 forum posts
1 photos
8 articles

I use the lightweight 'spackle paste' mixed with raw umber pigment. I mix up several batches with varying amounts of the pigment so the final product isn't too uniform in color.

Cheers,

Charles 

Brad James18/09/2007 16:45:00
872 forum posts
1 photos
1 articles

I think Charles is on the $ here...

Any 'filler' that has reasonable working time can be mixed in it's powder form with cheap acrylics or pigments or pastel chalks (too tedious for large volume work though!) or even oxide powder for cement/concrete colouring. Apply roughly in a basic layer, and as it dries you can sculpt more detail where needed. Make sure you have your scene ready with trenches, gradients, furrows, shell holes, etc. so there is less reliance on your 'mud' to form the bulk of the base covering. Once dried you can add gloss to represent wet mud, or a wash and drybrush highlighting to give it more depth etc. not dissimilar to finishing a tank...

This first pic has some static grass mixed in. It is a basic woodfiller putty with a brown cement oxide added once dried. This diorama is still looking like this laying dormant!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/AgathaPalooba/mmud.jpg

This one has had the puddled areas roughly planned out before pouring the mixture on (like cake mix) once it starts to set more separated clumps of mud/dirt can be formed as though churned. There has been clear gloss added lastly after some washes and highlights. Ignore this tank, which isn't on the finished diorama...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/AgathaPalooba/mmmud.jpg

Not sure if either are the look you're after... Just remember to look for either a powdered form of filler (just add water) or a pre mixed 'bog' filler which may prove more expensive but just as useful. Good ol plaster of paris can be used as a last resort as it is a little cheaper but can go rock hard just when you don't want it to...

Cheers

Brad

Michael Knott18/09/2007 17:08:00
13 forum posts

thanks, i can't believe how helpfull everyone has been. looking at the pictures i think i will do the paper mache then smother it with the powder/filler stuff

cheers

Michael

Gary Radford02/10/2007 17:35:00
5660 forum posts
4091 photos
25 articles

Hi Michael,

If you are going to use paper mache, just a warning, it may tend to lift at the corners as it dries out. I think it all depends on the size of the Dio. I know as it happened to me.

Cheers.

Gaz

Michael Knott03/10/2007 16:55:00
13 forum posts
cheers for the advice; i'll bear that in mind but i don't think it'' effect mine because i'm putting something on top- linseed putty?
Jason Ozee09/06/2008 00:41:00
56 forum posts
Brad ... your diorama mud is outstanding.  Unbelievable how realistic the muddy bog looks.  Have you finished this diorama?  I know it's been a while.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
MIG Productions
Advertise
EuroMilitaire 2014
Fantasy Printshop
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website