Mud

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brad James09/06/2008 03:35:00
872 forum posts
1 photos
1 articles
Jason Ozee wrote (see)
Brad ...  Have you finished this diorama?  I know it's been a while.

Thanks Jason, but this diorama base has been misplaced in a house move, so need to construct one from scratch... I have plans to make another quite soon though, and have discussed some rough plans here on MilMod a couple of weeks ago...

Cheers

Brad 

Jason Ozee09/06/2008 03:41:00
56 forum posts
That's too bad.  The realism is fantastic.
chippy09/06/2008 21:15:00
7 forum posts

try using undercaot plaster or floor tile adhesive the type you have to mix your self , not the the ready mixed . I've found both these give a good mud like apperance . If you wish to have a wet look just give a coat of gloss varnish

chippy

razorboy09/06/2008 23:45:00
364 forum posts
349 photos
Celluclay, Celluclay, Celluclay ........... You would think I worked for 'em. I don't but I sure love the stuff! Mix your color of choice right in with the water. If you need it looking "wet", clear gloss it after it dries. rb
Jason Ozee09/07/2008 22:56:00
56 forum posts
David Creel wrote (see)
Celluclay, Celluclay, Celluclay ........... You would think I worked for 'em. I don't but I sure love the stuff! Mix your color of choice right in with the water. If you need it looking "wet", clear gloss it after it dries. rb

I tried celluclay as mud for the treads on my KV-2 and it looked like paper pulp and didn't seem to be very manageable at a small scale. I panicked and started scrapping it off! Any suggestions on how to go about this?
Alan Mckenzie10/07/2008 00:44:00
2381 forum posts
1 photos

Hi

I think it's important in case people forget that this being a worldwide forum not all products are available in every country or called the same thing.

They may well have a suitable alternative or a product exactly the same but known by a different brand name or description.

I didn't think Celluclay was available in the UK to be honest but a quick Google revealed that you can get it, although it seemed quite expensive. Maybe it was the quantity

UK Celluclay source

I wish Durham's Water Putty was available in the UK, but I think Polyfilla is probably our nearest equivalent here. Available in various forms the powder version mixed with water would I'm sure allow for colourants to be added such as a tube of cheap acrylic paint from somewhere like The Works to create the mud and earth colours.

Durham's Water Putty

Polyfilla

All the best

Alan

Jason Ozee10/07/2008 01:08:00
56 forum posts

Alan,

I'm in the States and if I remember correctly it runs about 5$/pound.  I'll have a look at the other products, thanks. 

Anyone have any recommendations for using celluclay for mud on treads?  How to apply to get the mud look?  I'm not going for a heavily muddied look, just a bit of dirt and grime.

Alan Mckenzie10/07/2008 01:19:00
2381 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Jason

From what I've read about Celluclay it's like a refined paper mache and I would not have thought the best thing to use for simulating mud etc. as you propose. Have a look at Marevic's blog on his Stug. He gets a great mud effect and I think you could do the same, just reduce the amount if you just want only a lightly muded tank.

Marevic's Stug Build

Scroll down to near the page bottom. I think its an excellent representation. Jurgen describes what he used etc.

Hope it helps.

Alan

Nick Brown10/07/2008 09:50:00
1732 forum posts
2751 photos

Another good but cheap 1 is buy some ready bagged top soil from a local garden centre, mix it with pva and water, add your paint/pigment colour, and thisworks a treat too

John Donnelly11/07/2008 20:16:00
901 forum posts

Brad, love the effect you got there, particularly with the muddy puddles, definately something I'm aiming for on my next dio.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
EuroMilitaire 2014
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Advertise
MIG Productions
Fantasy Printshop
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website