Fit for purpose?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Hammerton03/04/2008 01:12:00
4805 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles

Greetings and Salutations One and All

I'm putting this up on behalf of a Friend of mine from my model club.

He has recently purchased the Tamiya 1/16th scale Panther RC kit and has discovered a major problem with said model. Put simply the tracks don't fit the sprockets, something of a problem with a working model I think you would agree.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this model, and if so, do you know of any cheap fixes for this ludicrous situation?

Cheers for now

Simon

Alan Bradbury03/04/2008 03:18:00
1176 forum posts
3 articles

I think the answer is in your thread subtitle: 'Fit for purpose', which is of course one of the main points of the Sale of Goods Act, specifically, that act states that 'goods must be of merchantable quality', so an RC tank kit that is incapable of being made into a working RC tank, is quite clearly not that at all. As such, demanding a refund can hardly be questioned.

Al 

Spurty03/04/2008 07:50:00
1312 forum posts
308 photos
Thats one for Tamiya to deal with, I'd get on to "the Hobby Company" as they are the importer, and see what they say. Before doing this though, go back and thoroughly check the construction of the sprockets, he's got to make %100 certain that its not something he missed during construction. I had several people come into the model shop I helped out in, complaining that the kit was wrong when they'd forgotton or missed something. Without seeing the problem I can't really say what the fix would be, I suspect that It might need a little machining on the sprocket with a rotary tool, but Id see if there is a fix from the Manefacturer first. As far as I can tell these are about £650 retail so it had better be right first time. I'd Try finding some rc tank sites and see if anyone there has had problems, se what they did to remidy the problem. Only then can you really go to trading standards. I'd also be inclined to ask this question in the Tamiya magazine letters page, they won't like it much but you should get a quick reply.
Simon Hammerton03/04/2008 23:36:00
4805 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles

Thanks for the word guys

When I spoke to the chap recently, he said that Tamiya had said that spacers were required.

The guys Father - who happens to be an Engineer - is saying this is rubbish. The problem apparently is one of pitch, not width. The sprocket teeth do not line up with the holes in the tracks.

I like the idea of dropping a line to TMMI and seeing what they have to say.

Cheers

Simon

Spurty04/04/2008 07:35:00
1312 forum posts
308 photos
Well its worth a go Simon, If they did screw the pitch up they really dropped the ball on what is a very expensive kit and deserve a damn good bashing for it. It seems that in lue of a properly designed sprocket, hes going to have to file back the teeth a bit and see if that works.
Simon Hammerton04/04/2008 08:37:00
4805 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles

Quite  possibly, although I think the problem is beyond that measure.

I feel it's a real shame as I've always had a high regard for the Big T and they should be better than this.

I know that the chap in question is pretty hacked off with it. He's a big 1/16th scale modeller and already has the Tiger I, Tiger II and Sherman 105mm (all from Tamiya) that he runs in displays along with a rather fun Pz III that he got through another manufacturer.

He is more than happy to super detail the models, but quite rightly objects to spending £150 for AM tracks and sprockets just so he drive them around.

Simon  

Foxy04/04/2008 09:17:00
155 forum posts

Haveing every simparthy for your friend Simon, I hope this gets resolved in your friends favour soon.

Haveing allready  spent quite a sum purchaseing the 1/16 item and then finding out this problem, I think it only natural that the big T should sort this out  for  your friend with out incurring any more expence on his behalf.

Spurty04/04/2008 12:38:00
1312 forum posts
308 photos
I TOTALLY agree with that Frank, from other manefacturers you might expect this but I've never heard of it from Tamiya.
Jeremy Wee04/04/2008 12:51:00
1722 forum posts
173 photos
26 articles

Hi Simon,

Im not very well informed in the RC space but i recently attended a Military show here in Auckland and had a quick chat with some people from the local RC club. There were a few Panthers in the show so i have no doubt someone would have come across this issue before.

Would advise posting a thread in this forum:

RC Tank Forum

Tell us how things go.

Simon Hammerton05/04/2008 00:16:00
4805 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles

Many thanks Jeremy

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Fantasy Printshop
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
EuroMilitaire 2014
MIG Productions
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website