By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What is the best way to paint tank tracks?

Tracks for the Dragon tiger I (Ausf.E) mid production,w/zimmerit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Wright24/10/2008 16:37:00
17 forum posts
Hi all, As i'am new to military modelling i would like to ask for help in painting and weathering the tracks on a Dragon Tiger I (ausf.e) mid production,w/zimmerit.All it is asking me to do in the instuctions that came with this tank is to paint it in mr.colour 18 steel.What colours can be used instead of this one?
Mark Chisholm24/10/2008 19:19:00
2692 forum posts
1 photos

Im no expert but i will try to pitch in !

I would avoid that all steel colour -- it will look toy like in my opinion...

so what i do is --

1) spray all the tracks a matt black

2) dry brush on shades of brown/sand and red brown

3) apply 2 or 3 pigment tones to break up the tracks to create a worn and rusty look

4) get a 2b pencil or a graphic stick and rub across the tops of the tracks to give a metal type sheen to the track cleats

I want to post some pics but i dont know how?

can i ask? does it have "magic tracks" if so how did you get on with them?

cheers Mark

vanhall24/10/2008 22:09:00
2220 forum posts
1649 photos
12 articles

Hi Adrian'

The Tiger's tracks were made from Manganese (as was the drive sprocket), which unpolished has a very dark brown colour. For this reason I usually paint my tracks Dark Brown. I use Lifecolor's acrylic 'SchokoladenBraun' UA205 or Humbrol's matt 160 for enamel, but any Dark Brown colour from any paint maker would do. Then I give the tracks a dry brush with a 'Steel' colour to highlight the 'worn/polished' edges. And finally I give the tracks a wash with black oil just to darken all the crooks and crannies and tone down the 'Steel' colour.

The best pic I have of the Brown colour:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/38030/Early_G_bouw_en_verf_(16).jpg

...and most of it gets hidden anyway, if you dust your tracks up with pigments. The same tracks later:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/38030/Final_G_(3).jpg

Hope this makes sense and helps you out a little..

EDIT: Which kit are you building? 1:72? This one:

http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/catalog/images/7251.JPG

Adrian Wright25/10/2008 00:48:00
17 forum posts
Thanks all for your help guys. Your advice is very helpful. Just to say yes to vanhall,that is the same tiger i'am building at the moment. King regards Adi... P.s what company's makes the best pigments?
Mark Chisholm26/10/2008 00:21:00
2692 forum posts
1 photos

I bought some from MIG they have so many types! I bought some earth tones and a general concrete colours, just to add variety and depth.

but i am sure people will know of other pigments.

the Mig ones are great in that they seem to adhere very well to the model, you can also purchase pigment fixer to make sure it stays on.

Donald Legget26/10/2008 12:38:00
21 forum posts
3 photos

Here's a wee trick :

Get some Vallejo German Cam. Black Brown (150) and thin it with water to a really wet mix of 70% or more water (it's not an exact science) and heavily spray or brush your tracks with this mix.

You will find that the paint seperates out into a rusty brown and a very dark grey - the great thing is that the dark grey adheres all over while the rusty brown pulls back to crevases and corners and sits on top of the dark grey.

Painted and weathered tracks in one pass ! 

Adrian Wright26/10/2008 13:07:00
17 forum posts
Thanks for your input donald i may try this technique.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Peaker
Casemate
MIG Productions
Howmans
Barwell
Advertise
Shopping Partners
3 Issues of Military Modelling for 1

Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website