Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Robinson09/11/2008 10:28:00
10586 forum posts
1437 photos

A definite, must have

Philip Appleyard09/11/2008 12:03:00
296 forum posts
222 photos

Hello all! Sorry for the messy post above, but something happened to the review images in my gallery? Anyway here are the references to what I am rambling about.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/40421/231_1.jpg

This image of the '232' 2/s.SS.Pz-Abt.101 illustrates the standard pattern for a late Tiger 1, notice how the smaller patten follows the forward contours of the turrets forward edge... Also the heavier flattened surface of the heavier zimmerit patten usually associated with a definitive late.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/40421/296095805_66PEH-XL.jpg

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/40421/tiger-color.jpg

As I said in the previous post, the rear hull looks fantastic in texture, but really too neat. This was the concerns of a lot of modellers who were wary of the aftermarket detail zimmerit sets, due to the pattern not following obstacles and profiles as on the real vehicles. Saying this though I do believe it is an excellent kit, and hot swapping between this and the previous DML lates will be a doddle. The beauty of this kit is that at the pure joy level of our hobby , it is by far the best single option available... And about the distance from Fallingbostel to Kharkov in term of accuracy and option compared to the other manufacturers for not much more money... Oh and all the included extras normaly bought as aftermarket sets with the others. I do love Dragons Tigers though...Oh the possibilities.

Phil.

Ps. The Saumur Tiger is misleading as to the zimmerit as it was apparently re-applied at a later date.

VB09/11/2008 12:12:00
8457 forum posts
10160 photos
773 articles

It has to be remembered though, that Dragon probably have access to more images and references.  Especially given the consultants on the first page of the instructions.  So although I thankyou for pointing out that the kit isn't the one in the pics you have, I'd be unwilling to say it's wrong before speaking to the likes of David Bryden et.al.

Vinnie

Philip Appleyard09/11/2008 12:47:00
296 forum posts
222 photos

Hi Vinnie! All I am saying is to look further into a build before blindly building a 'definitive' vehicle and stating it as totally accurate, I fully accept that others especially the experts like David Byrden et.al (David is an amazing source of all technical aspects of the Tiger family, and has helped me out on the more obscure parts of my builds on more than one occasion).  Have at their fingertips a vast amount of archive materials, but unless a lot of unpublished images suddenly appear, the average mortal modeller can access the majority of images that are available to the design teams at the kit manufacturers. These vehicle fascinate and intrigue me to the point of obsession, whilst illustrating these beasts I keep stumbling over more and more tiny details that were looked over before by my eyes and thoughts. Certain vehicles have a few details that fingerprint them almost, and whilst the zimmerit depiction is an excellent concept for those who want to build this version and are put off by the application of anti-mine paste, my personal view is that I will still look to apply my own for the Tigers I's want to model (and the list grows with every research I undertake, with Davids and others informative input) I will still buy and build this kit in various guises though, whatever my thoughts as to minor points. People in this hobby have generally been very suportive of my projects and aspects of detailed information I have sought, I often look for the unusual and obscure, but whilst doing this have found that the majority of Tigers all had an individuality that continues to push this vehicle to the fore of most peoples minds.

Regards Phil.

Deano09/11/2008 13:45:00
6151 forum posts
2127 photos
11 articles

I think we all appreciate your input Phil but this will not put me off from buying at least two of these kits and building them as is.Dragon have done brilliantly with their Zimmerit which is rivaled to none and for that alone deserve a round of applauseSome of us might not be able to justify AM Zimm or feel comfortable enough to make their own and for those reason,s these kits will sell by the bucket loads(despite the things you think are wrong)

Cheers

Deano

Philip Appleyard09/11/2008 15:04:00
296 forum posts
222 photos

Hi Deano! I think I am being mis-interpreted a tad, I am not trying to put anyone off buying this kit or any other DML kit with or without 'zimmerit'. No one shook the tree to much with Tamiya, and they continued to produce their kits at their pace and their level of research and detail. (we have even had a recent case of Tamiya re-visiting the older un-asymetrical turret via sattelite production plants, and expecting the modeller to pay the same as their other Tiger 1 kits)  I  think the kit is excellent and believe everybody should buy a few , I always do! It's just sometimes the modeller being the most important part of the 'circle of styrene' can change things slightly in their favour by weight of numbers,  This kit in itself illustrates the levels of design and engineering that Dragon in particular have gone to in order to bring the model world this kit that we could only have dreamed of 20years ago. Even DML's Initial Tiger 1 has flaws and missed detail that are now accepted by themselves and others, and are likely to be re-thought and re-tooled in their next raft of Tiger 1 family releases. I like it I really do, but nothing is perfect and can be closer. Sorry if my input came over as heavy and critical, it truly was never intended to. The fact of the matter is I only build Tigers at the moment, my choice of manufacturer is Dragon/Cyber Hobby who have always strived to give us the model hobbyist ,what we desire most and to the best of their plastic engineering abilities. I was just disapointed that the zimmerit has these niggles that puzzlingly could have been done differently. They managed to follow the form and contour of the turret side vision slits, and bow mg why not the rear hull face and the turrets leading edge?

Sorry yet again, it was just my observation not a review critique... Phil.

Deano09/11/2008 16:28:00
6151 forum posts
2127 photos
11 articles

Its OK Phil my misunderstanding buddyI just think that Dragon do their level best to please "us the modellers" but someone always has a moan about some little error and bypass the amount of effort they have put into the kit originally(which is a whole lot more than other manufacturers from an Axis point of view) Anyhoo I have picked you up wrong and I do apologise

Cheers

Deano

Mark S09/11/2008 16:36:00
10008 forum posts
2 photos
6 articles

Ooh, I feel another Tiger build coming on now. I really want this one as it saves on that one thing I have doubts about doing myself, the Zimmerit. Looks like it'll be fun to paint too with those options provided.

Boo.

Philip Appleyard09/11/2008 17:56:00
296 forum posts
222 photos

Is it going to be the 503rd Tiger 'turning turtle'? That you mentioned a while ago. This I would like to see.

Phil.

Mark S09/11/2008 21:37:00
10008 forum posts
2 photos
6 articles

No Phil, I'll save that little scenario for the less accurate Tamiya Late Tiger in my stash with the PE zimmerit, I wouldn't want to lose all that lovely predone zimmerit by turning it on it's head.

I can actually use my PE set for the Tamiya one on this, I would imagine 90% of it will be useable, maybe more.

Boo.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ February
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest