By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New from Airfix...

... the Vickers Mk VI Light tank

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Airfix release the Vickers Light Tank Mk VI ...

Airfix release the Vickers Light Tank Mk VI ...

... in their 1/76 range. United Kingdom - World War 2

Robin Buckland29/03/2009 17:49:26
11127 forum posts
36959 photos
3337 articles
Not a 'new' kit, though new to the Airfix banner, they releases the ex-JB Models Vickers Light.

Robin
Chas Kenny29/03/2009 17:58:02
2955 forum posts
This is a delightful little model to build. What's more, it's very easy to build.
I've built the three versions available in the kit. In addition, I've also built the Ack-Ack and Mark V versions using the Matador conversion kits.  

All credit to JB for originally issuing it as one kit with three variants. Equally, all credit to Airfix for having the wisdom to purchase the JB range!
Colin R30/03/2009 08:40:17
659 forum posts
244 photos
2 articles
Looks nice, I may well have to get one of these.

Any ideas form our 1/76 experts on how to add the missing rivets?

Colin.
Richard Oram30/03/2009 09:03:40
2677 forum posts
480 photos
I like the look of this one too, I'd like to have one in 1/35th in plastic too!

R
Gene Kruger01/05/2009 05:41:34
1 forum posts
Is any one here old enough to remember the old Airfix magazines from the late 1960's - 70s??  If so do any of you remember a series of articles in them by Chris Ellis about useing the Airfix 1/76 Bren carriers as the basis for scratch-building various light tanks...includeing this particular model???  
I heard that he still has the models. I just bring it up for the fun of the old memories.
Cheers
Gene
Chas Kenny01/05/2009 16:50:27
2955 forum posts
Gene,

Yes, I am!

I don't recall the Vickers Mark VI. However, he did convert the Carrier into the earlier Vickers Mark IV Light Tank. This would have been around 1969/1970 when it appeared.

Chris also converted into a Panzer Mark 1 (Ausf A, I believe). He also converted it into a Japanese Light Tank.

Those were happy days!

Chas
Robin Buckland01/05/2009 18:51:10
11127 forum posts
36959 photos
3337 articles
Hi Gene, and Chas,

Yes, I remember Airfix mag.  Not only was it the first modelling magazine I started buying (it was pre-Mil Mod), but of course in the mid-eighties it was the first mag I started writing for.  I am happy to recall those early conversions by Chris Ellis, and other features by Gerald Scarborough of course, which inspired me to do more modellling.  I'm happy to admit that I have Airfix mags all the way back from when it stopped publication to 1963, plus copy nos 1 and 2 which I picked up in a shop many years ago.

In those days there was only a fraction of the kits and references we are lucky enough to have available today.

Hi ho, another long lost mis-spent youth no doubt....

Robin
Chas Kenny01/05/2009 19:17:55
2955 forum posts
Robin,

I'm like you with regards to the Airfix Magazines. I only require a dozen or so very early issues to complete my collection. I've seen them advertised on E-Bay. The starting prices are reasonable. However, it then gets silly. I always set myself a limit before bidding. Once that's been reached, I stop. 

The magazine, itself, was first class. There was great variety in it. Model railways, ships, aircraft, cars, figures, dioramas, all were covered. Also, the conversions varied from the simple to the slightly more complex involving using blocks of balsa to fill gaps. These had to be sanded smooth and then sealed with a mixture of talcum powder and dope!

Or, converting waterslide transfers to something else by the simple expedient of painting over the existing transfer (decal).

I believe it was the Airfix Magazine which taught me how to make my own transfers. Briefly. Take an old fashioned label which needs to be moistened. Paint several layers of varnish onto the gum. Allow each layer to dry before applying the next. Then paint your design onto the varnish. When dry, treat like an ordinary transfer. Crude, I know. Basic, I know. But in those days, we didn't have the after market supplies we have today 

Chas
Gene Kruger 101/05/2009 23:32:43
1 forum posts
Chas..I admit my memory is fuzzy as to which tanks scratch built but I seem to recall there were at least 2 models of the Vickers and I remember the article on the Japanese light tank.
There was something truly special about that magazine.
Just as a point of interest...Chris Ellis is still writeing, editing and publishing a model railroad magazine...its strictly B&W photos and line drawings..very much has the feel of the old Airfix magazine......Model Trains International.

Cheers
Gene 
Ken Jones02/05/2009 09:48:12
303 forum posts
241 photos
16 articles

Gentlemen,

Ah, Airfix Magazine, I cut my teeth on that ... and it was fun writing articles for it.

Do a scale drawing (usually more guestimation that accuracy) make the model usually with Airfix parts for the suspension etc., photograph it and write it up all for eight quid! (£8), which would be spent on more Airfix kits and other bits and pieces including camera film. Those pictures were postage stamp and awful at first.

I think 'fun' was the operative word...

Ken 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
MIG Productions
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Barwell
Casemate
Advertise
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website