Simon's Jagdtiger...

Simon's Jagdtiger...

... the Tamiya 1/35 kit built by Simon Hammerton Germany - World War 2

Simon Hammerton13/04/2009 20:57:47
4821 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles
Greetings and Salutations One and All

Now that I've worked out what I'm doing, here are some pics of the new Tamiya Jagdtiger for your consideration.

As you can see, the detail on the running gear is very good indeed. 

The way Tamiya has gone about the roadwheel outer face works very well, but requires care when cleaning off the sprue attachment points. These carry on behind the edge of the wheel disc. But anyone who has seen the sectioned roadwheel on display at Bovington will see that this is a good solution to the problem.

The drive sprockets like the rest of the running gear are held on with the good old poly caps, which makes it so easy to build up the tracks and then pop off the wheels for painting.

More pics when I've whizzed them in the computer.

Simon
Mark S13/04/2009 21:12:10
10000 forum posts
2 photos
6 articles
Looks very much like a blog to me Simon

Will you be covering the whole build like this, I for one would love to see this kit put together as would many others ?

The poly caps for the running gear sounds great, it would be nice for all kits to have that option, pop the wheels on and off at leasure

Mark.
Jamie Ferguson13/04/2009 21:30:19
697 forum posts
303 photos
Hi Simon.
Look forwards to seeing this.
I have 1/48 Tamiya Jagdtiger in the queue of tanks to be built. Hoping this will inspire me.
Martyn Crowther13/04/2009 21:59:50
3783 forum posts
371 photos
Nice start Simon!
Andy Claesens13/04/2009 22:57:28
8767 forum posts
7666 photos
16 articles
Go on Simon... Blog it... you know you want to...

Good start mate.

Andy
Ross Mahoney13/04/2009 22:59:05
838 forum posts
624 photos
5 articles
Hi Simon

Looks like you have started to make some good progress. Looking good. Can't wait to see more when I get back.

Ross
Simon Hammerton13/04/2009 23:11:20
4821 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles
Hello Folks

My working life makes blogging rather awkward, can't guarantee being at the bench when I want to.

It's a good kit but not perfect

I've just finished cleaning up the kit gun tube with copious applications of Micro Mesh pads. The mounting is not complete as I intend to fit a Lion Marc Alloy barrel as soon as it turns up from SBX Models. LM are doing barrels for both the Tamiya and Dragon JTs.

While I'm in full flow.........

FIFTY QUID! and no ally barrel. No I don't think so either. If the Pak44 had come with a muzzle brake it would not be such a problem, but without one you need to see some rifling!

Anyway it's track builing next, but now I'm off for some Peroni's

Ciao Bambinos

Simon
Tony Dill 214/04/2009 17:11:57
5218 forum posts
2978 photos
3 articles
Simon,

looks to be very interesting from here, but the conclusion is that for what you pay, you are being a tad shortchanged? Am I right, or just being tightfisted?

Antonio
Robin Buckland14/04/2009 19:10:49
10779 forum posts
35303 photos
3163 articles
Hi Simon,

Thanks for this, it'll be good to see how the kit turns out as you go through it.

Robin
Simon Hammerton15/04/2009 00:32:45
4821 forum posts
256 photos
2 articles
Hi Folks

Tony, I've got to admit that if I had to pay the going rate for this model (£50 in the UK), I'd feel a little peeved. I've found that Hobby Easy are doing this kit for under £30 plus P&P, which makes an Email to Hong Kong very tempting

The Dragon Tiger I w/Zimmerit is about the same price as the JT and comes fully loaded with more goodies than you can shake a stick at.

I'm not a massive Dragon fan - too many unnecessary mistakes for me - but you do get what you pay for.

Thanks again to Robin for giving me the model, it's still a highly enjoyable kit to build, but I just wish they had thrown in the ally barrel.

More pics Wednesday night.

TTFN

Simon

Edited By Simon Hammerton on 15/04/2009 00:33:25

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd
EuroMilitaire 2014
MIG Productions
Advertise
Fantasy Printshop
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website