By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A British Half Track....

The Dragon M3A1 gets the British look.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Gary Radford's British M3...

Gary Radford's British M3...

...the Dragon 1/35 M3A1 half track combined with British Markings from Bison Decals. United Kingdom - World War 2

Brian O'Donoghue31/05/2009 18:24:30
1965 forum posts
781 photos
10 articles
Hi Gaz,

Looks good, check your refs with the M3 as I was 'told' that Brits only used M5/M9 and I can't be sure about Canadian use. Do you have a copy of the Ian Allen - Armour In Detail Halftracks? I will rummage through my copy for you.

Regards

Brian
Tony Dill 231/05/2009 18:58:17
5382 forum posts
3028 photos
3 articles
Hi Gaz,
Good to see this one running. I will be sure to follow you on this one, and I'm sure that you will turn it into a stunner.

Tony
Mence Wilkinson31/05/2009 19:38:41
3263 forum posts
1156 photos
Nice vehicle Gaz, this should be a winner!

Pulling up a chair..........

Prof.
Brian O'Donoghue31/05/2009 22:36:46
1965 forum posts
781 photos
10 articles
Hi Gaz,

I have looked up Terry Ganders references, he quotes the following production numbers of halftracks supplied:

M3/M3A1 - British = 2 - Commonwealth = 40
M5/M5A1 - British = 5238 - Commonwealth = 20
M9/M9A1 - Allocations not known

The Italian campaign picture of a halftrack towing the 17pdr is captioned in this book as a M9A1, however all British/Commonwealth vehicles have mine racks fitted.

I hope this helps

Brian
Chris Meddings31/05/2009 23:07:55
9798 forum posts
781 photos
A nice project Gary, count me in

If you're doing this one as 98th Field Regiment RA, then there is a photo on page 13 of the Concord book "British Armour in Sicily & Italy" which I think the Bison set is based on. It does not have the mine racks and looks like it doesn'y have the storage boxes

HTH, Chris
Brian O'Donoghue01/06/2009 08:13:57
1965 forum posts
781 photos
10 articles
Hi Gaz,

Chris beat me to it, I found the same picture last night. The M3 was a rare beast for the Brits/Canadians during the war, after the war finished M3 trickled through for the British army. They served until the 60's and the the RA and REME were the biggest users of the vehicle, the REME variant was fitted with a front mounted boom for engine changes etc.

If I remember correctly there was a magazine article many years ago with the details to convert the old Tamiya kit to a REME variant, including the measurments for the boom.

Regards

Brian
Jim Rae01/06/2009 09:35:55
25 forum posts
Essentially the problem with both the M5 and the M9, is that they were vehicles built by White Autocar (supplied in large numbers under Lend-Lease) and the differences are, in modeling terms, virtually insurmountable.

Saying that you project is still a hell of an interesting one and i'll be following this one as well!
Mac McConnell01/06/2009 09:48:32
5662 forum posts
1128 photos
Nice to see something British in this constant waveof German armour.

Mac
Gary Radford01/06/2009 19:37:49
5827 forum posts
4224 photos
25 articles
 This looks like I have stirred a Hornets nest here don't it. I am wondering whether to do it as a U.S version and use the decals on another project later.
Gaz
Gary Radford01/06/2009 20:13:05
5827 forum posts
4224 photos
25 articles
 While I am sorting that little problem out I can carry on with the build. Sub-section D of stage 1 deals with the rear axle. No major problems here to report, everything seems to be correctly numbered.

The remaining section, E, F, G, and H all deal with the running gear. The picture below shows the parts for the main drive sprocket and the assembled item....

The front tyres have got a bulge and flat spot moulded on them, I know over the past, some folks have not been too happy with this, but in my opinion I like the idea. When you assemble the front wheels make sure you get the locating points dead on, I didn't for a start and I had one hell of a job trying to get the two parts separated. You have been warned!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
Casemate
Barwell
MIG Productions
Howmans
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website