By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

1/18 scale Panther and Jagdpanther Normandy dioramas

From toy to diorama, a building experience!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Federico Perez23/09/2009 16:28:56
43 forum posts
52 photos

This are two dioramas I did using as a base the 21st Century Toys 1/18 scale Panther tanks, one(Panther) was detailed and side armor added and the Jagdpanther was semiscrachtbuilt using the 21st Century toys Panther chassis and the upper structure made in styrene plastic as well all the details of the armor superstructure, the side armor plates are from brass sheet stock.
I scrachtbuilt an interior for the driver/gunner area of the panther since the hachts would be open but almost nothin could be seen now. The night vision scopes where also made in styrene/brass tubing and plastic parts for detail.

The Kubelwagen is the minichamp offering im 1/18 scale, in all of this "toy like"
project the only true scale model from the start, I repaint it,weathered and detailed, made the radios from scracht and that's about it, is a VERY impresive little model. The Jeep is another die-cast but dont remember the brand, it was given the same treatment as the Kubel. The figures are all by Dragon LTD and 21st Century in 1/18 scale....not very life-like I must say, the desire pose was achived by cuting,bending,using brass wire for support and then puttying all the joints and modifications, some of the uniforms
Michael McLaughlin23/09/2009 16:33:33
5432 forum posts
2602 photos
11 articles
Hi Federico,

Wow!

Those are fantastic

Regards
Mike
Andy Claesens23/09/2009 17:16:37
8624 forum posts
7432 photos
16 articles
Totally Agree!

Marvellous stuff!!!

Andy
Terrence Power23/09/2009 21:05:52
505 forum posts
1 photos
Great scratch work and a double Wow on the Panthers' paint jobs. Keep them coming Federico.
Ted Mottram23/09/2009 21:18:11
4347 forum posts
2507 photos
8 articles
Incredible stuff Federico. The figures are especially well done and the way you have reposed them is a lesson to us all.

Ted
`Boots`23/09/2009 23:21:33
5945 forum posts
890 photos
That is fantastic work Federico, both on the artwork and the scrach building, absolutely top draw stuff, well done!!

`Boots`
Arlyn24/09/2009 00:21:28
167 forum posts
39 photos

Hi Frederico - wonderful models .

I had no idea that anything existed in 1:18, that really interests me - did you enjoy working in that scale?
Adam Kuller24/09/2009 01:10:43
7813 forum posts
6656 photos
~ Once again Frederico, I'm so glad you've joined us here!  These models are very nice to look at, and you can tell by the responses--we like them much better than you do! 
 Very fun stuff, well done. Among my favorite elements are the tractor and it's shed, and the downed para. What got you going in the unusual scale? Was it buying the Panthers?

Adam

Edited By Adam Kuller on 24/09/2009 01:11:20

Federico Perez24/09/2009 04:23:03
43 forum posts
52 photos
Again A BIG thank you for all the kind comments about this two works, they are appreciated very much.

This two dioramas where actually a "backdrop idea" that got out of hand!!! A local friend of mine that is a military history enthusiast and collector of militaria wanted his two favorites german tanks in a bigger scale that 1/35 as a decorative element for his library/collection room, at that time Tamiya had'nt released their 1/16 scale Panther or Jadgpanther kits (and even if they did, they no longer offer this range as static models only RC, which is very sad) So one day he come into my house and show me the 21st Century toys Panther tank that he got at the local big toy store, I look it over and saw there was "some potential" in the model since it was fairly accurate and crisp in detail, so the long workover begun on the Panther first, then the idea for some figures to give some sence of scale, then a display base,then more ground detail and before I was done, a diorama was born!!!

The good thing about this 1/18 scale/models are that they are in a big scale,quite good in looks,scale and detail and not to expensive for their size and possible potential, with a carefull removal of some mold lines,scrachtbuilding in scale some details and a repaint/weathering job, one gets a quite "good display" model. The bad side is that unless you want to pay big money for the few diorama scale accessories in the market for this scale, you will have to fabricate almost everything for details.

The came his friendly request for the Jagdpanther in the same scale and with more detail, in here I made the "little" mistake of saying....sure no problem, but it turn out to be a lot of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say, that I was very clear about no use in the late Panther G  zimmerite application and night vision scopes use in France...but he wanted it that way anyway, he had his reasons, he told me.

I have in a box somewhere in my house another 1/18 rework, a Panzer IV in AfrikaKorps service in a mini diorama, very simple thing, but that one has to be one of the worst offerings by 21st C.T., since it was made a cheap RC version. I didn't even try to correct the  small details for an accurate DAK Panzer IV, this was a gift and I just wanted to eliminate that horrible camo job it came from the toy company and be able to display it a litter better, it looks MUCH better now....in my humble opinion. If my fellow forum members want to see it, please let me know and I will post it, I really don't want to flod the forum as a new member with a lot of new threads.

Again thanks for the kind words and very warm welcome to me and my diorama works.

Federico

Edited By Federico Perez on 24/09/2009 04:24:34

Chris Spalding24/09/2009 13:22:10
3637 forum posts
1 photos
Cant say anything different to above, wow fantastic work

Chris.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Euro Militaire 2013
Fantasy Printshop
Shopping Partners
Product of the month
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website