All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dragon 47mm Panzerjager I...

Dragon 47mm Panzerjager I...

...the 1/35 model by Tony Watts Germany - World War 2

Tony Watts09/11/2009 19:31:09
1352 forum posts
966 photos
With the Hummel completed and needing a break from painting I took this one out of the stash thinking it would be a simple quick build. Boy have I been surprised because it has not been that simple nor that quick mainly because of the anti tank gun.
 You're looking at 57 parts to complete this little feller.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here so more on this after some background history.
Designed by Alkett in 1939 using the captured Austrian Bohler 47mm gun and put into production in 1940. With the advances in  enemy armor protection, production was halted in early 1943 after a run of 202 units.
Weight--6.4 tons with a crew of three.
Power--Maybach 100hp 3.8 liter 6cyl
Range--140 kilometers/87 miles
Top speed--40 kilometers/25 mph
Was not considered a very good cross country machine.
Saw service in France,North Africa and Russia.
The Alkett models had a 5 sided casement but Skoda added a 7 sided casement for added crew protection later. The Panzerjager 1s armor protection was very weak and even a near miss would send sharpnel bouncing around the inside. The only reason it stayed around so long was due to the fact the gun was very accurate and effective on up to 2inch armor plate to 600 meters with a maximum effective range of 1500 meters.
Enough of that,lets get started shall we.
This is one more excellent kit and has the Italeri kit beat hands down i'm told. Step 1 is the usual wheel and suspension assembly with only minor clean up.

From here on out I just skipped around building sub-assemblies so bear with me. To make sure the rear hull plate would fit snug and square with the engine cover later, I dry fitted the upper hull unit and the already assembled engine cover with tape and then glued the rear plate in place to the lower hull only.
While you're here,you see that bar that's installed between the axle housings?
Well someone at DML forgot the holes it goes in and also failed to mention in the instructions that you need to drill out those holes. They are already there on the inside of those housing so all you need to do is finish drilling them out BEFORE you glue the housings to the hull.
End of Part #1
Tony Lee 

Edited By Tony Watts on 09/11/2009 19:34:08

Peter Varga :)09/11/2009 19:39:44
46 forum posts
47 photos
Hi Tony
It looks interesting and very cute!
I'll be watching this one!
Good luck,
Michael McLaughlin09/11/2009 19:47:28
5585 forum posts
2787 photos
11 articles
Hi Tony,
Glad to see this one being built
Nice bit of history and a very tidy build so far
Keep up thre good work
Robin Buckland09/11/2009 20:15:36
15509 forum posts
56527 photos
5253 articles
Hi Tony,
Neat and interesting start to the new build, and a nice SP comparison to the bigger Hummel.
Craig Hiscock09/11/2009 20:19:03
17650 forum posts
6533 photos
11 articles
I have the slightly older Italeri version in the stash with a little bit of etch to go with it, somehow i think this one will be a little better  Looking forward to seeing the outcome Tony.
Ian Robinson09/11/2009 20:23:11
10586 forum posts
1437 photos
Soft spot for tiny panzers so will be watching your progress with much interest
Tony Watts09/11/2009 20:58:14
1352 forum posts
966 photos
Hi guys, pull up a chair and welcome.

This is the only known Panzerjager 1 in existence today located in Koblenz Germany. It was captured in late 1942 near El Alamein. If you would like to see more go here:
Part #2
The drivers compartment is another unit that can be built as a separate assembly from the floor up. There are three ammo boxes,a large one on to the right of the driver and two on the rear bulkhead. The larger one is a tight fit so i'm not going to install it till the completed floor unit is in place and painted. I'll also wait to install the two at the rear until the gun mount is in place so the lids don't interfere with it in the open position. These two bins also serve as seats for the other two crew members.

Sorry about the blue tint,i'm doing something wrong?????? Impressive interior but Dragon thought the engine compartment should be left empty. HUH?????
I installed a few more parts on the rear but left the mud flaps off for now.

End of Part #2
Tony Lee
Tony Watts09/11/2009 21:46:44
1352 forum posts
966 photos
Part #3
We're on a roll now boys,here's where the really fun stuff comes in.
The transporter part of this kit is pretty much what you would expect from a tank build but the 47mm Pak is a whole new experience for me and only enforces my feelings about never building a 1/72nd model.
As I told you at the beginning of this blog the gun is made up of 57 parts 60 if you count the mount base. I recommend that anyone with a short fuse not buy this kit not because of the parts count,assembly is not really that difficult but cleaning the nibs and seams without breaking or loosing the microscopic components is a killer. I used every harsh word I could think of and almost put this whole thing back in the box at least half a dozen times.

When complete it's well worth the effort so hold on to a positive attitude and get er done.
Ooooppps what do we have here?
Just my favorite AM Friulmodel brand tracks.
End of Part #3
Tony Lee

Mick Dore09/11/2009 21:53:35
1743 forum posts
9 photos
Tony this is a superb looking kit packed with detail, great work so far
I have a couple of Roden 1/72 pak 40's they have 70 parts
Peter Varga :)09/11/2009 22:01:59
46 forum posts
47 photos
Hey Tony, see the address in the top right corner? That's the town where I'm from!  
Good progress BTW...
Keep it up Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest