By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Churchill AVRE CarpetLayer (Type B) Twin Bobbin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Robinson17/02/2010 17:59:29
10446 forum posts
1536 photos
What bits come in the IMA conversion Mark?
Mark Bannerman17/02/2010 18:53:16
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
HI Pete - since this site has come into play and subsequently drawing my inspiration from others, I have found new energies for the hobby. I have 8 projects on the go to show for it   ...but always keeping my modelling time to 30-45 minutes a day.

Hi Ian - all the parts and bits laid out in the image in my previous posting are the parts included in the IMA conversion kit for the Type B (twin bobbin) carpet layer. I will add a photo that shows the parts that are included with the IMA Type A carpet which is essentially the same with the exception of the carpet roller.

Mark

Edited By Mark Bannerman on 17/02/2010 18:54:23

Mark Bannerman17/02/2010 22:29:38
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
This is the configuration for the earlier TLC Laying Device and Carpet (Carpet Type A). There is a small armoured plate on each side to be attached where the arms angles upwards.  

Mark Bannerman20/02/2010 19:27:59
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
A small update on the TLC Carpet Layer Type A  - I have decided to stick to the Type A and do the Type B (and Type D eventually !) later after I get my parade of half builds in  my hobby room completed.

Mark Bannerman21/02/2010 14:52:42
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
HI  - I did receive a few emails asking about the twin bobbin to see what it looks like on the model.Here it is temporarily affixed on the same Churchill. Truly an odd contraption

Mark Bannerman02/05/2010 13:58:30
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
More detailing and corrections - I had been waiting for some information which came through on Friday. Next will be working on the mats and chespaling.

Twin Bobbin Carpet Laying Device Type B.

TLC (Tank Landing Craft) Carpet Laying Device  Type A

Mac McConnell02/05/2010 15:35:02
5646 forum posts
1128 photos
Some more top modeling Mark this is a great subject.

Mac
Mark Bannerman02/05/2010 15:54:52
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
Thanks Mac

Both carpet layer devices had several attachment points of which some were common to both the Type A and Type B.

Close-ups of the Twin Bobbin and the TLC shows a plate attached to the side of the air intake. I cannot find a reasonable explanation but I am guessing that as these contraptions were relatively new and very much in the teething process, the likelihood of the arms slipping was probably high. If the plate did slip, it would swing back and hit the air intake  - hence, the plate may have been one means of protecting it (?!). 

Twin Bobbin

close up on Twin Bobbin air intake

Close up of air intake on TLC Type A

Model version

Close up of front hull attachment point -

Beaver2202/05/2010 19:34:56
1783 forum posts
591 photos
10 articles
Really good to watch this develop.  Great work on the bobbins.

There are a number of images of this vehicle in 'British and American tanks in World War 2' by Peter Chamberlain, these images show a section of boxing around the bend in the arms.  In the book it also suggests that the arms were lowered by detonating a small explosive charge.  Could the shielding to the intake be a form of protection from this?

Love a good mystery

Stuart
Mark Bannerman02/05/2010 20:33:04
2866 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles
HI Stuart

I was aware of the discharge on the Log Carpet Device. However, you raise a good point on the discharge for the carpet layer...I cannot say for certain. The mystery may live on

these images show a section of boxing around the bend in the arms

Do you mean this bit for the boxing ?

Good eye I was going to apply this protective boxing but these were typically applied to a "double arm". I am using the single arm type. If I had used the double layer arm, it would look something like this...

A bit more detailing to the the device based on some close up images that I found...

the fun continues .... 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Fantasy Printshop
EuroMilitaire 2014
MIG Productions
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website