Tiger Evolution

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Moggeller, PhD08/04/2010 19:30:58
10476 forum posts
2173 photos
29 articles
Tiger Evolution

The Tiger tank is one of the most studied subjects for the scale armour modeller; contentious and stressful for the web-based super-detailer, yet evocative and enticing.  The array of kits available on the market is wholly confusing; currently Dragon slay the opposition at with their hard to find boutique kits, however sourcing such rare beasts can be an expensive headache.  With huge diversity of aftermarket products it can be easy to fall into the trap of sourcing a lemon, yet on the whole those pieces out there will go to make your base-kit something more special, whether it be resin or photoetch, white metal or brass.

Having recently built and super-detailed the 1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 (late) last year I was captivated; being a dyed-in-the-wool Panzer IV fan I was surprised to have been bitten by the Tiger-bug, but the catalyst was surely the SMI Productions book ‘Modelling the Tiger 1’.  This particular reference lays out in easy to understand sections the evolution of the Tiger 1 & 2 production models and their different features.  Coming in as a late entry I am equally impressed by the Xtreme Modelling publication ‘Elements in Combat 3; Tiger 1 & variants’ with a splendid collection of Tiger 1 models.  I strongly suspect ‘Elements in Combat 4; Tiger 2 & variants’ will be my next purchase.

Having spent months researching this Tigerfest I have managed to source a number of kits for a journey into this confusing jungle of sprues and hope to bung in a dizzying array of aftermarket shineys to keep the Tigerfans interested.

To kick off I will take a few detailed pictures of my recent late Tiger 1 build to whet your appetites, but hope to be better build quality and detailing references.

Keep an eye out for picture uploads!

Edited By Bill Hazard on 08/04/2010 19:34:18

Moggeller, PhD08/04/2010 19:35:03
10476 forum posts
2173 photos
29 articles
I would love you to follow this blog that will incorporate the following Tiger variants:

1.      Tiger 1, Initial

2.      Tiger 1, DAK

3.      Tiger 1, Early 503-style

4.      Tiger 1, 'Classic' Early

5.      Tiger 1, Mid (Kursk)

6.      Tiger 1, Late

7.      Tiger 1, Early (Fehrmann)

8.      Tiger 1, Initial Hybrid

9.      Sturmtiger

Keep a close eye on this thread; the Tiger trail will no doubt lead to a surprising collection o’moggles!

Also; any help along the way would be greatly appreciated. 

Bill

Panzers In Scale

Edited By Bill Hazard on 08/04/2010 19:39:59

Michael McLaughlin08/04/2010 19:47:22
5585 forum posts
2787 photos
11 articles
Hi Bill,

Wow! What a project, 9 Tigers
I'll be here

Regards
Mike
Trackpad08/04/2010 20:05:47
904 forum posts
438 photos
I'm in for this one i have a few tigers to do myself in the stash love watching them get done.
Robin Buckland08/04/2010 20:06:41
15501 forum posts
56527 photos
5253 articles
Hi Bill,

Good to hear!  best of luck with the Tiger fest.

Robin
Moggeller, PhD08/04/2010 21:24:18
10476 forum posts
2173 photos
29 articles
Eh up!

Starting off with Dragon 6252 with RB Models barrel with brass muzzle (etc), a dedicated Voyager PE set, Masterclub Tiger 1 'Initial' mirror tracks and the MIG resin Battle Damaged Tiger 1 set (and Aber MG34's & turned antenna).

She'll be a beaut! 
Andy Claesens08/04/2010 21:28:47
10916 forum posts
9785 photos
16 articles
Bilbo! Game on for the Tigerfest eh?

I'm glad you're building nine of the beggars, that means I'll be able to keep pace with my one offering.

Count me in old chum, I'll be watching closely.

Andy
Moggeller, PhD08/04/2010 22:06:54
10476 forum posts
2173 photos
29 articles
Ace; back to Axis, mate, you know it makes sense. 
John Barr09/04/2010 01:49:13
752 forum posts
114 photos
Bill, how on earth do you manage 9 Tiger builds at the same time? My brain would melt out of my ears!  Cheers to you.    Just remember, "There's only one place to hit a Tiger baby, and that's it's ass."      
                         John
Dan Reed09/04/2010 02:18:55
1726 forum posts
93 photos
#6252 is my favorite! I hope to see the version with the PZ III bin.
Dan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest