Dragon Nashorn kit 6001

is it as bad as the rumours say??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Si Benson14/05/2010 20:55:15
3896 forum posts
974 photos
Hi all,
  thought i had bagged a mega bargain when i picked this up on ebay for £10.......after a quick google to see what, if any, extra bits i could get for it ---  I read a couple of disconcerting remarks about the kit.....
Question is has any one built this recently and what's it really like??
Is it a total lemon or can it be made to a reasonable kit?
Chris Smith15/05/2010 09:23:07
1749 forum posts
337 photos
7 articles
It was my first DML kit, I binned it and gave up modelling for 15 years but don't let that put you off.
Si Benson15/05/2010 10:15:43
3896 forum posts
974 photos
Thanks Chris,
  Oh well at least it was ony £10.......when it turns up i will put it at the bottom of the stash and pretend i never brought it!
Maybe i could us it for spares?
Ian Robinson15/05/2010 10:34:27
10586 forum posts
1437 photos
A Nashorn for a tenner! Good or bad, is a good deal in my books. Look around the site at the scratching and detailing that goes on and tell me you couldn't make this one look half decent
Get it built Si. You might enjoy it more making it good. At the end of the day any models we do is good practice, so it could be a build purely to gain experience on.
Chris Smith15/05/2010 10:39:18
1749 forum posts
337 photos
7 articles
I seem to remember that the fit of the body panels was terrible rather than soft detail or such. Give it a go, for a tenner it's got to be worth a try.
Chris Meddings15/05/2010 10:40:14
9828 forum posts
791 photos
5 articles
Think of it this way Si; at £10 you can possibly affort the etch sets and a turned barrel and still end up paying less than you would for the premium release
What was wrong with it?
Alan Mckenzie15/05/2010 11:21:19
3082 forum posts
26 photos
Hi Si
If it's any consolation you are not the first to jump at an ebay bargain only to regret it, but that doesn't address your predicament. Be assured no matter which manufacturer you choose to buy a kit from they've all got at least one "don't touch it with a barge pole" in their inventory, so it's not just Dragon.
After you mentioned it I did a Google myself and it appears this was one of the first kits Dragon produced and it was heavily criticised. It doesn't seem to be a detail issue, more the fact that the parts don't fit. One comment I read described it as unbuildable, which  I find hard to understand. surely somebody at Dragon put this together during testing etc.
Anyway during my search I came up with this link directed at improving the kit. If you want to take up the challenge and try to make something of this beastie here you go.
I suggest printing it out as I found to my dismay sometimes pages etc. you bookmark suddenly disappear  from the web never to be seen again.
Hope it helps.
Alan Mckenzie15/05/2010 11:31:11
3082 forum posts
26 photos
Me again. Just one other thing if I may. If you do decide to improve the kit just work out the cost. With a few PE sets, replacement barrel and tracks you may find even with spending only £10 on the kit you've suddenly spent as much as buying the latest version Mike McLaughlin is building, an altogether different standard of kit and possibly a lot nicer modelling experience.
Here's his blog
A superb model in my opinion and one I'd love to have.

Si Benson15/05/2010 12:40:12
3896 forum posts
974 photos
Thanks Chris,Chris and Ian,
 thats a very positve aproach and one that I also have come round to.
I did read somewhere that the draftsman resposible for this soon after lost his job?
When i do come to build it I may even blog it as a warning for others!
Alan.......thanks for the link, i already came across this myself and have it in my favourites On your suggestion of printing it out, thats a damn good idea
Christos Athanasiou11/02/2014 18:47:18
2097 forum posts
271 photos
1 articles

I know it has been some three years since someone last posted here, but Si, I have bought this when I thought that all Dragon releases are of the same quality of the latest Dragon ones. Nonetheless, I built it OOB and did not encounter many issues construction-wise, just some tight fit of the tracks in the front fender area. Detail might be a little soft and there is some cleaning up to do, but nothing major.

Not my brightest build, but surely a good lesson. I have the Hummel 6003 also in the stash and will be building it in due time!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest