A Panzer Ausf J photo feature...

A Panzer Ausf J photo feature...

...from the build by Bill Hazard Germany - World War 2

Moggeller, PhD15/07/2010 23:25:05
10370 forum posts
2138 photos
29 articles
Thanks to Milmod for inviting me to blog this kit;

Lots to say & will have a whole passel o'stuff to throw at it.

I favour a Zimmeritted Panzer IV Ausf J in Normandy...

For the Tiger fans; don't worry - this is a minor distraction and the Kassel Produktion Line will be grinding ever onwards soon enough!

Chris Spalding15/07/2010 23:30:04
3637 forum posts
1 photos
Hey Bill ,nice one  Its gonna be a pleasure to watch this one ,looking forward to seeing you work your magic on it

Chris
Moggeller, PhD15/07/2010 23:33:04
10370 forum posts
2138 photos
29 articles
In addition to the splendid Cyber Hobby kit I will throw into the mix this spectacular Griffon PE set;

This combination should go to create an excellent blend of upgraded base-kit and aftermarket detailing.

I am thinking of creating Panzer 622 of 6/SS Panzer Regiment 2, photographed on the road to St Fromond north of St Lo on 09 July 1944.  This Panzer has no turret traverse motor muffler, it has a barrel exhaust, classic Panzer IV Ausf H/J features and Zimmerit, along with some pretty beat up Schurzen and a nifty Tritonal scheme.

Yes Robin, I will paint it. 

In time-honoured fashion I will add Friuls.

Welcome aboard Panzerfans!

Bill
Dan Reed16/07/2010 02:38:40
1705 forum posts
93 photos
I'm in!!
Dan
Adam Kuller16/07/2010 03:11:02
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
~Yup--just the man for the J-O-B
Stick this in your panzer-pipeline and smoke it!
Such a cool little side-line project for you Bill (Full-blast-project for the mortal-modeller
Those Griffon set are 'splendid" aren't they?
Please save me seat
Adam
paul adam16/07/2010 08:21:35
492 forum posts
153 photos
Hey Bill

Watching with great interest!!!!

Paul
Sean Emmott16/07/2010 08:30:26
2193 forum posts
4330 photos
3 articles
Aha!  My next full build will be a Panzer IV from Sept / Oct 1944, so I will definitely be following this for things I can blatantly copy, er I mean "for inspiration"

I'm looking forward to this, Bill.

Sean
Dick Francis16/07/2010 09:02:20
3403 forum posts
1 photos
Looks to be a pleasant diversion Bill from the ongoing Tigfest! I think these Griffon sets look to be the  danglies and it will be v.interesting to see how you think they measure up! As you may or may not know, I'm not really an Axis fan but there's definitely something about these 'fully-kitted' out IV's that makes for interesting modelling!
Si Benson16/07/2010 11:24:06
3461 forum posts
870 photos
HI Bill,
 Looks like a busy build with the extra's on........I'll keep a beedy eye on this as I have the cheap Tamiya version somewhere in the stash.

Si

Moggeller, PhD16/07/2010 13:37:32
10370 forum posts
2138 photos
29 articles
Hello Chaps!  Nice to have you all interested.

I am sure that you are all aware that the Panzer IV is a particular favourite of mine, so I think I might savour this build in amongst the Tigers.

The plan is to create a Panzer IV Ausf J 'initial', which predates the June 1944 changes, so with a heavy heart I will have to remove the turret Pilzen (or even use a Dragon Ausf H late turret) and deploy the early smaller extractor fan armoured cover and use the angulated coolant filler box.  Other than deletion of the turret traverse motor muffler this will resemble very much an Ausf H.  It might seem to be relatively 'niche', but this Panzer was produced in relatively large numbers.

I will attempt to add home-made Zimmerit to the kit, something which I need to up-skill quite quickly.  I have planned to spend some time practising the art of the spatula before slapping it all over with putty (or whatever), but hopefully by the end the model will pass muster.

The Griffon set is quite impressive, but I will say one thing - the lack of a brass muzzle brake is a disappointment.  This is included in the (more expensive) Royal Edition, but I think what I will do is swop the aluminium barrel for an Armorcale one that I have stashed in an Ausf G waiting for conversion (the Griffon aluminium barrel will go well with that kit as I will depoly the earlier muzzle brake on that kit, but that is another story...)

Other than that I will add two Aber MG34's; one for the coaxial MG and one for the bow plate, also there will be an RB Models brass antenna.  I might even stretch to some figures, depending on my general mood (I have a couple of Alpine Minidudes in mind).

Thanks for your interest - if anybody has any tips, questions or just general feedback, please don't hesitate to post up.

Cheers!

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
HLJ Sept
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ July
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest