By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

WW1 Diorama

First attempt at a diorama in 120mm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Silentknight23/08/2010 00:57:06
7 forum posts
35 photos
This is a first attempt at a 120mm diorama. I would welcome advice and constructive criticism.

It will mainly consist of "Firing Line" figures and the trench is an extension of Jon Smith Modelbau trench dug-out.

As you may be able to see the diorama has two levels. Above and below ground.

There will be up to ten 120mm figures in/on it when complete.
I have no idea what I'll do with it when it's finished as it's massive. (83cm x 50cm) Just enjoying it as a summer project.
VI23/08/2010 01:23:04
2663 forum posts
992 photos
Hi Silentknight,
What an excellent idea with the 2 levels to work on. Looking forward to this one.
Cheers
VI
Anthony Fuentes23/08/2010 04:38:23
34 forum posts
32 photos
Looks very interesting can't wait to see the finished Diorama
Trackpad23/08/2010 09:09:45
900 forum posts
438 photos
A Dam fine looking start there looking forward to seeing this one taken further ,A nice bit of ground work and extension, my only worry is the width of the roof on that lower section,are you planning on thickening it up at all ?

will you be filling it with Tommy's or are we going to see it full of German Fritz's ?
Silentknight23/08/2010 09:39:49
7 forum posts
35 photos
Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

Trackpads- Agree on the roof width. Lack of forward planning I'm afraid. The lower section kind of evolved rather than was planned. In fact the steps down don't really work at all with the roof that thin. Anyone using the steps would have had to slide down  through a narrow gap. I don't think i can thicken the roof at this stage, unless anyone has any ideas? There is only just enough room for a 120mm figure to stand up below.

The diorama is going to tell a story - (Probably) The trench is to be British. The troops have just carried out a daring rescue of a RFC pilot in no man's land.

In the lower section there is to be a meeting with the rescued pilot, a seated officer and other involved in the rescue. There may also be a German prisoner that they have captured in the melee.

In the upper left, two Tommys who have been wounded are discussing the action with a drink and a smoke. On the upper right, by the dug-out entrance will be two lewis gunners and a seated soldier who have been providing covering fire. 

I have painted all the figures and they are ready to be added.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a crashed aircraft into no man's land, but two problems. Firstly I can find any suitable aircraft in 120mm scale and secondly I don't know if it would look right anyway as there isn't a great deal of depth of land to play with.

Again suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks
Trackpad23/08/2010 09:55:01
900 forum posts
438 photos
Sound like it will tell a great story full of eye candy as well.
Looking at the width in your 2nd photo i would not bother with a aircraft mate and just fill it with barbed wire and battle field debris. in it self will add to the scene and story.
Pity about the roof you will have to have a look at adding some roof timbers which wont be to bad if there sat down having a brew.
James Thomas23/08/2010 16:26:01
357 forum posts
1 photos
that looks amazing ! ill be watching your progress

James
Ian Sinclair23/08/2010 17:23:13
1351 forum posts
505 photos

Hello

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a crashed aircraft into no man's land, but two problems. Firstly I can find any suitable aircraft in 120mm scale and secondly I don't know if it would look right anyway as there isn't a great deal of depth of land to play with.

You asked if suitable aircraft were available and as far i as i am awre there isn't,however someone more knowledgable than i may know better.
As you have started to scratchbuild the base why not see about scratchbuilding part of a RFC aircraft to give the impression of something larger.Perhaps part of a fuselage,wing or similar.

Ian
James Croasdale24/08/2010 02:45:40
91 forum posts
287 photos
Great dio on the way !  You could just have a souvenier piece of aircraft- that would be manageable enough. Please check out my WW1Tommy wip on the FSM figures forum, there is a wealth of details there ,and a way to make the corrugated steel you see in WW1 pix. I will be watching your very ambitious project.
Silentknight24/08/2010 09:37:25
7 forum posts
35 photos
Once more many thanks for all your contributions and advice. My dilemma seems to be whether to include part of an aircraft. I would like to have a go at scratch building some debris but don't know if I have the skills to do a good job. I do think it would help to tell the story more though.
I have included some pictures of the figures I intend to use, placed temporarly in position.

These are the wounded pair on upper left of diorama. I think I'll have to build up the sandbags or the taller figure will need a head bandage like his friend.

This is the group on the right

and finally the group below ground. I'm not sure whether to include a German prisoner as it's already getting a bit crowded.

Krow 113 - I've located your WW1 Tommy diorama. I am so impressed and envious of your skills. Lots of ideas there for me to borrow if you don't mind. I have a lot of work still to do. I work rather slowly I'm afraid. This little lot has already taken nearly a year for me to do so far, so it may be some time before it gets finished. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Fantasy Printshop
Euro Militaire 2013
Advertise
Shopping Partners
Product of the month
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website