By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Russian 20-Ton Flatbed Railcar for 1/35 Eastern Front

Beautifully Produced kit in Resin and Brass & blogged

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

LZ Models are a new manufacturer on the scene...

LZ Models are a new manufacturer on the scene...

...making 1/35 railway kits in resin Russia - World War 2

Adam's 20 t Russian Wagon and T70s...

Adam's 20 t Russian Wagon and T70s...

...the photo feature combining no less than 3 blogs! Russia - World War 2

Adam Kuller18/09/2010 07:58:32
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
Hello Gents, I have something here for a little bit different blog.
   A marvelously cast kit of a common (at the time) workhorse of the vast geography of Russia, the 20t flatbed railcar. This rolling stock was used to transfer everything between cities and battlefronts from foodstores & personel, to heavy weapons like tanks & guns,  which I have a mind to display aboard this  one. This kit is a bit hard to find, & I actually have the parts to build either a flatcar with  stanchions at the edges, or a low-sided open car as pictured--I will actually try to build it to show both in this blog. The kit also includes choice of axels for either narrow or wide gauge track and some parts are offered in resin or Photo Etch.
     The deal with this build is this: A friend of mine decided he did not want to do a Russian build, and offered the kit to me on the condition that it didn''t  just go into my stash--that I build it and blog it well, and for him that would  be better than he if he was to build this one right now. The only catch -->No instructions!
 The instructions CD was not included.

U.S. Build set aside for now~

Also part of why I''ve put my "Beyond the Rhine / Beyond Supply" Dio aside for the time being and switched to Eastern Front, is  it was a toss-up for me , between a  Russain re-supply scene or American forces build when I started that---and I actually have a couple of primo figures  already in the works in for this and some Russian armour and trucks too . More on this following the flatcar/low-sided-car build.

About this wagon~

Two axle open platforms were the basis of the cargo fleet of Russian railways from the middle of the XIX century up to 40 years of the XX century, when  four axle wagons came into wide service as well. There were many manufacturers in Russia, to name a couple, Ural Car Plant, Krukov carriage factory or Ust-Katav Wagon building Works named after L.M. Kaganovich, who produced in 1934 the wagon pictured.   Until 1935 only the well known common screw couplings and buffers were in use in Russia , but they we''re not well suited to the cold climate and other requirements.   In 1928 , an UIC appointed Working Group ( founded in 1922) began working on the development of automatic coupler . Since the work never got off the drawing board to define the basic requirements, The Soviet Union decided to use the concept of the robust U.S.Willison Coupling.

(Willison coupler--simplified version)

.     A coupler was constructed in 1932 by team of Moscow engineers responsible for the repair of wagons. After the 1933 introduction of the concept,  automatic couplers was adopted, and implementation began in 1935   . World War II however interrupted work, so the transition to the automatic coupler wasn''t completed until 1953.
    During WWII these cars were used widely in military service by Russian Army and captured ones later by Germans. The Wermacht, on their progress East, changed the  Russian gauge 1520mm for their own
( and usual in most Europe countries) 1435mm. For more on track gauge, see HERE    Captured cars got narrower bogies to be used on new rails, and later on, when Germans were withdrawing, the Russians used  these changed cars.

Continued~

Edited By Adam Kuller on 18/09/2010 08:02:07

Adam Kuller18/09/2010 08:28:14
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
~The KIT~

Here's everything included in the kit. Some parts had removed themselves from pour blocks in transit, but that's just due to nice, small attachment points, making for easy removal and nice building. Some of the attached resin plugs were big, but again, easily removed.

I always like to get right down and have a look at the depth of detail in a kit, and this was no dissappointment by any stretch.
This kit may actually boast accuracy OOB down to every rivet

Looks like rod was used as vents for many parts, such as the 'ole steel wheels, and that's the only clean-up on these except for a few air bubbles to fill on these parts-not difficult work, but worth getting right More on that when the time comes....

Getting started wasn't too tuff, as I could lay out many parts and see where they would go right off. I may have some items flipped-around here, but that's basically it I think.

3 sheets of P.E., some of it to be folded double-thick and most of it to be fit to the side-walls, going by my references.

All the sheets seem to be nicely made, and the few missing parts we're found at the bottom of the box.

A few large parts, like with any resin set, were a little warped. These  items below fit to the underside so I wasn't much worried, but they did respond to some gentle heat, and besides will straighten out when secured with glue to the end-beams.

A good quantity of top-quality styrene stock is included as well as 2 sizes of brass wire--no doubt for the many bar and tubing pieces detailing the real car--I'm sure I'll find out where these go as I move along.

Continued~

Adam Kuller18/09/2010 08:49:25
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
~To begin construction, I layed out all the frame beams, as this goes together like a box-skeleton, with accurately-moulded "L" brackets(with lots of ritets!) between each part.

The frame is built bottom side "up", to allow fitting of the 100thou square styrene towards each end(chopped later to meet the inside of the U-channels at each side.)

2 identical frame halves are made like this, and the 2 beams at center are joined back to back to from the entire frame-base.

The 4 small side-beams attach in-line with the only crossmember in the center-parts (Note- the smaller "L" brackets go--(out) on these--(the inner "L" is the full length of the beam)

You can see the center part did respond to heat and stay spread, and will be glued to the brackets of the mid and end beam and thus (should) keep shape.Fingers crossed

Here's the basic frame layout.In love

~Continued~
Adam Kuller18/09/2010 09:06:58
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
~After laying it all out again on a 11"x14" piece of glass to assure it came out square and flat. I joined all the parts in situ, dropping in small amounts of very thin C/A (Zap pink label) which will reliably 'wick'-in  a fuse the assembly together.

A steel rule between end-brackets was all that was needed to size the square styrene .

And there I had the basic frame constructed.Coffee cup

I was now ready to add the U-Channels along the side, after removing from thier pour blocks and cleaning the attachments( which thoughtfully become the attachment point to the end-beams! What thoughtful kit-making!! I really appreciate when the kit is made with such things in mind. These parts were a bit thinner than I would have prefered, but this no doubt owes to realistic thickness requirements--I layed them flat until use.

~Continued~
Andy Claesens18/09/2010 09:18:09
10879 forum posts
9746 photos
16 articles
Marvellous start on something interesting and unusual. I'll be tagging along if I may Adam.

Andy
Adam Kuller18/09/2010 09:27:33
8017 forum posts
6915 photos
~Andy ~  So happy to hear that---Yes, please do come along for this.Smile

The 4 "U"-Channels we're attached, end to end (on the glass)

Rivet-plates are added onto the intersections of the frame beams
(larger one at center)

And now the frame is complete, aside from some wire tie-downs that are welded to the rivet-plates, and I may add these sooner or later.

~~Now that the frame is together I can get an idea of how roomy even a light railcar is in 1/35 scale. Here I've parked (a practice build, never finished) a T-26 Vickers Light tank and you can see there's room to carry two onboard! (or one medium-heavy tank)

How did I  know where everything went?  Reference photos - and this kit is acccurate enough that the parts are quite recognizable.

^^There's those tie-downs (handholds? If you're Indiana Jones maybe)Smile with tongue

That's it for  now Gents, I'm already set about cleaning up the many parts that make up the bogies and will return with thier construction. Meantime........I'd be really interested to hear any inputs, observations or remarks of whatever sort you fine folks may have about what you see here.....thanks greatly for your interest............AK

Edited By Adam Kuller on 18/09/2010 09:50:36

Craig Hiscock18/09/2010 09:51:06
17650 forum posts
6533 photos
11 articles
An interesting subject Adam. I am wondering what these light cars could carry weight wise, is there any reference available of these in use do you know?

Watching mate as i have the old Dragon flat bed in the stash with an eye of marrying it with a Panther one day.

Craig
Ian Robinson18/09/2010 10:48:19
10561 forum posts
1436 photos
Nice start Adam and I've always like the railway stuff so will be staying tuned
Tony Dill 218/09/2010 15:41:08
5600 forum posts
3270 photos
3 articles
Hi Adam,

This is a very interesting and different subject and I'll be watching with absorption as you progress with this one. Great background detail on this one too...

Regards
Tony 
Bill Mall18/09/2010 15:51:57
233 forum posts
441 photos
Wow, Adam, out of the starting gates and well down the track on a first post.  AS you know, I think it''s a big deal when I compromise the plastic on a new kit, and blog that.  Here, we don't have to wait at all to see the kit starting to come together.  Great background information, too.

I will watch this one keenly, my intertests have swung Russian lately.

Bill 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ July
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest