Are washes and filters the same

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Court13/06/2011 14:14:31
3478 forum posts
900 photos
Hi all

I getting confused, again

Are washes and filters the same? Some seem say use a wash all over, others use a filter then a pin wash to highlight seams etc.

Is there a differance or am I being a tad dull

Collin S.13/06/2011 14:25:04
710 forum posts
529 photos
Robert,

Filters are directed toward specific colors, as washes are for anything thing intended to be weathered. Lighter or darker between inks and... natural to Wet washes are different but the same if one is thinking washes. However, Filters are intended for color to perhaps brighten or darken. Hope that helps.

Collin
Robert Court13/06/2011 14:38:49
3478 forum posts
900 photos
thanks Colin

I am about to practice on the Tamiya PZ 11, so i should gloss it first then a wash all over and finally a pin wash??
Collin S.14/06/2011 13:05:01
710 forum posts
529 photos
No Problem

I'm going to guess your Panzer II with be, "Panzer Grey"? I don't use gloss for any of my models, the look does not appeal to me. So I really can't say on how other people use it. I know you can buy pre-made color/gloss containers. As to weather or not to gloss after you get your base coat down is something I wouldn't know.

Perhaps one of these other guys can jump in and help you out with that. It will need a gloss coat over it that's all I can really say. Practice with it and look over the results to find what you can improve on.

Here.

http://migproductions.com/2010/11/washes-and-filters/

go to this link. If the link does not work just jump on over to Mig Productions Web page, search Washes and Filters. It explains it a whole lot better then what I can explain. If you need anything else let me know

Cheers Collin
Robert Court14/06/2011 16:03:40
3478 forum posts
900 photos
Oh yes it's in grey via a can.

excellent article Colin, thanks for the link

will use my faithfull Jagdpanther hull for practice
Collin S.14/06/2011 17:40:31
710 forum posts
529 photos
Oh No it isn't my Article, I believe it's some one over at Mig's Article... it's just on display for people that could use insight on the filters and washes

Cheers & Good Luck!
john keogh 114/06/2011 17:51:12
2002 forum posts
377 photos
Hi Robert I use a gloss coat over matt I found without it the base colour changes and the wash doesnt flow into the nooks and crannies,once ive finished with the washes i spray on a coat of matt, also the gloss coat is good for putting on your decals saves a lot of problems
Carlos6914/06/2011 21:04:18
6694 forum posts
1559 photos
Rob,

Washs use to be a generic step to tone down the base coats/camo etc and to outline/add shadow... we have moved on somwhat since these days,still are valid but I think there are better ways.

The filter.

Used to alter the final tone of a colour or add variation etc...used thinner than a wash so basically tinted thinner is used,the aim is to not add shadow etc or let it pool around detail,just to alter the final colour coats ie,weathering etc... I would add a filter to say a white finnish to tone it down (as I do all colours)

The above step for me works better on a matt finish,I never gloss up as do not like varnishes,and only use if have to.Caution working filters washs and pin washs on to matte paint requires care not to darken the base coat to much,and when I add pin washs to a matt finish I first flood the area with thinner and then dot the pinwash around the area needed or it can/will trash the surrounding paintwork. This way it will sit around detail and not dry in tide marks etc...

You dont have to gloss up but it is easier for some to do this prior to doing filters and washes... its just what you get use to !

Carlos

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
EuroMilitaire 2014
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Fantasy Printshop
MIG Productions
Advertise
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website