Trumpeter AS90 in 1/35

WIP , Re-boxed Trumpy kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Kelly17/08/2011 01:41:28
614 forum posts
296 photos
Morning fellas,

Started on this about a week ago. Not a lot done on this so far, but I thought as this is a subject I haven't seen much (If at all) on here I would Put up some pictures of my build as it comes together for you all to enjoy

So , First off a little history; (Borrowed from Wikipedia)

The AS-90 (Artillery System for the 1990s) is a lightly armoured self-propelled artillery piece used by the British Army. It was first delivered in 1993. Its official designation is Gun Equipment 155 mm L131.

The AS90 is used by five regiments of the Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Artillery: 1 RHA, 3 RHA, 4 Regt RA, 19 Regt RA and 26 Regt RA, replacing the 105 mm FV433 Abbot SPG, the M109 155 mm SPG or the FH-70 155 mm towed gun.

AS 90 was designed and built by the Armaments division of Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering (VSEL, owned by BAE Systems since 1999), who provided 179 vehicles from 1992 to 1995 at a cost of £300 million.

During 2008-09 AS90 underwent a capability enhancement program. This mostly involved replacement of electronics.

In 2002 BAE Systems were contracted to upgrade 96 British Army AS90s to a 52 calibre gun to push the unassisted range to 30 km and with long-range ERA ammunition to 60 to 80 km. However, due to the inability of the selected bi-modular charge system from Somchem

Edited By Nick Kelly on 17/08/2011 01:48:41

Nick Kelly17/08/2011 02:06:51
614 forum posts
296 photos
So the Kit,

The kit comes in a Hobbycraft box, But its actually a Trumpeter kit. Having never built a Trumpy kit I thought; "Why not?".

The kit comes with both, The original decals provided by Trumpeter and some which I assume were added by Hobbycraft to make this a "desertized" version. There's plenty of options including IFOR and VSEL (which I assume would make a demonstrator or prototype). I've decided to opt for the OD and black camo scheme.

This is the hull with a basecoat of OD ....

close(ish) up of the front...

Le deriere...

The turret so far... I find myself getting bored whilst waiting for things to dry so I start on another part/sub-assembly .

The kit comes with the parts to make both, the 52 calibre "Braveheart" version and the standard 39 cal version. I've opted for the 39 Calibre version as the Braveheart was never
actually accepted by the army and I'm not aware of any being in service.

And finally the road wheels, which I've started to paint and assemble before I glue the suspension into place so I can get it nice and level.

As always all comments and criticisms welcome!

Hope you are all well,

Best Regards,

Nick

Edited By Nick Kelly on 17/08/2011 02:10:55

Tony Turnbull17/08/2011 09:48:47
223 forum posts
56 photos
Got the Trumpeter kit plus Accurate Armour update set with Bronco tracks and RB barrel sitting waiting to be done once I have finished an AA Jackal. watching with interest.

Tony T
VI17/08/2011 09:55:08
2663 forum posts
992 photos
Hi Nick,
Looks like a good project, I'll be watching.
Cheers
VI
Terry Taylor17/08/2011 10:00:36
1579 forum posts
1186 photos
Looking very nice . like Tony ive one of these in my to do pile. i fancy doing a full interior
watching and learning.
keep up the good work.
Terry
Andy Mitchell17/08/2011 10:15:03
5432 forum posts
3486 photos
8 articles
I built one of these a few years ago with the AA update kit. It does build up into an impressive vehicle. Looking forward to watching your progress.

If you need any references "Plain Military" have loads and there are a plenty on the MOD's Defence Image Database

Nige17/08/2011 11:19:17
696 forum posts
316 photos
4 articles
Got this one myself Nick but under the Trumpeter logo, plus the RB barrel, i agree it should build into an impressive weapon system, will be looking.

Kind Regards.

Nige.
Nick Kelly17/08/2011 13:47:32
614 forum posts
296 photos
Hey Guys,

Tony

Glad to have you along !

VI

Welcome aboard!

Terry

Thanks A full interior would be interesting! I dont think I have the relevant skills for that kind of thing yet, these links might help. Interior details and the 360 degree interior and exterior provided by the Army .

Andy

Happy to have you along, I must admit , when I opened the box I had a bit of an "Oh dear, what have I let myself in for?" moment , but It's not all that daunting once you get going.
Thanks for the link too, Very useful!

Nige

Welcome along!

I hope to get an update up soon, any flaws in this kit that anyone is aware of? Found a couple so far mainly with fit, but would be very interested in what others have to say.

Glad to have you all along!

Best Regards,

Nick
Andy Mitchell17/08/2011 15:11:33
5432 forum posts
3486 photos
8 articles
Nick,

As far as flaws in the kit are concerned this build review by Darren Baker should help

Nick Kelly17/08/2011 17:26:51
614 forum posts
296 photos
Andy ,

Cheers fella, very comprehensive! Pretty much outlined the flaws I found so far.

Best Wishes,

Nick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
MIG Productions
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
EuroMilitaire 2014
Fantasy Printshop
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website