Articles

Gary's 1/72 Vickers Valiant...

Gary's 1/72 Vickers Valiant...

...the Airfix kit built by Gary Radford United Kingdom - Post WW2/Cold War

Gary Radford18/10/2011 15:27:14
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles

Next up were the two very large slipper tanks that were sometimes carried under the wings. The assembly of these is different from any other tanks I have built in as much as the actual tank halves fit around the pylon. You can see what I mean by taking a look at Robins review of this kit HERE.

You may be able to make out that the top tank has got a little filler on it if you look along the top.

I now turned my attention to the undercarriage legs. As I didn't want to fit them yet I placed then in the holes in the wheel wells and glued the parts together. These will be fitted after the painting stage.

Gary Radford18/10/2011 15:29:23
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles
Hi Andy.

Stick around for a little longer, your wish may come true. Thank you for your comment Andy.

Gaz.
Gary Radford18/10/2011 15:38:20
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles
Ok Gents.

With those small items out of the way it was time to fit the wing assembly. Before I glued the wings up I painted the inside of the intakes white to help when it comes down to painting this big bird. I think I may need a gallon of white paint. Anyway gents here she is with the wings fitted....

At this stage I must say that Airfix have made a 1st class effort here with the joint. I used a tiny amount of filler but this was mainly down to me splitting some of the plastic when I removed it from the sprue.

As Tim and I were talking about earlier the type of plastic Airfix us is soft and tends to tear rather than cut and has a habit of splitting.

Gary Radford18/10/2011 15:48:32
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles
The Valiant can now stand on her own feet, the undercarriage is ment to be painted natural metal. I chose to paint the items in various shades of Alclad just to add a little contrast between the parts.

On the picture below you can see the U/C doors these were sprayed with Alclad Aluminium paint while the U/C bays were sprayed in Alclad Dark Aluminium. The round objects to the right are the jet exhaust pipes. These were first given a coat of Halford's Grey Primer and then a coat of Alclad Burnt Iron followed by a very light coat of Alclad Pale Burnt Metal.

Craig Hiscock18/10/2011 16:13:58
16941 forum posts
6103 photos
11 articles
Well Gaz didn't see this one going on. A great looking build so far i must say and i also have to agree with Tim and yourself about the plastic and sprue attachments but hey its a small price to pay for some great new releases

Craig
Tim White 118/10/2011 18:38:30
15142 forum posts
3013 photos
Gary

She's looking fantastic. (For her, not you).

Looking forward to some paint.

Cheers

Tim
SteveM18/10/2011 19:18:20
1145 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Gaz,
this is comming along really well , I just wish i had room for one
Keep it comming
Cheers
Steve
Johnny Gers18/10/2011 21:58:32
13111 forum posts
3675 photos
It looking good Gaz. Hope to get some Alclad For my build. I have some of there Primer. It looks good stuff looking at your plane.

Thanks Johnny
Gary Radford18/10/2011 22:07:02
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles
Hi Johnny,

Alclad is a first class product mate. Did you know it can only be used through an air brush?

Gaz.
Gary Radford18/10/2011 22:10:22
5729 forum posts
4132 photos
25 articles
Hi Steve,

The Valiant is one big bird mate and will take up a lot of room. The good thing is you could always display it as being in a museum and put smaller aircraft under the wings etc.

Go on give one a go, you know you want too.

Gaz.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Barwell
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Casemate
MIG Productions
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website