By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

My First 1/35 Tiger I (Dragon Inital Production Kit# 6600)

A New WIP (Start Date 12.11.11)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ben Hinks12/11/2011 18:37:30
1644 forum posts
87 photos

Hi guys,

Ahhh, I love the smell of a fresh new blog in the erm, evening!

It had to happen - my cabinet is full of all my best work but it still seems very empty because, quite simply, it's lacking a 1/35 Tiger I! The shame! Embarrassed

So, with my Birthday last Friday I asked my parents if they would like to but my the newer Dragon Leningrad 6600 kit. I wanted an earlier Tiger to start with, one of the first as I'll want to go right to the other end of the scale and build a late version at some point.

What I'm doing:

Box art:

The Plan:

As you can see I'm going for an initial Tiger shown at Leningrad '42 - '43. Im not going for the box art, I'm going for the version marked '100' with the two Panzer III side bins on the turret walls - no rear bin. It's different and like I say, it's very early so ideal for my purposes.

Paint wise I'm going for a similar grey with whitewash over the top in sections like my Panzer III N that I did for Andy's Panzer III GB. I'm going for a 'rougher' w/wash application this time and a wet and muddy look but little chipping as it's going to be an early but new Tiger that's been freshly realeased from captivity and hasn't been in many scrapres yet!

Aftermarket:

None really other than a replacement RB barrel and Brass Antennae. The kit has plenty of extras, stowage items and PE grills plus DS Styrene one piece tracks which I used before and liked so no Friuls but tracks are the last thing on my mind yet so things may change. The kit barrel is one piece but a lovely Dragon kit like this should at least have an AM barrel imo! That spring barrel isn't my 'bag' really - what am I gonna do, tension the spring then release and make explosion noises? Wink If you you like that offering then great but not for me I'm afraid.

I also bought some Brass Shackles that screw up and everything for a different build but they were too big so I'm going to use them on this as they are a perfect size. I've already fitted the two on the rear. I've also ordered a Brass bucket as this version doesn't have the bucket like the older one did (kit# 6252?) and Quickwheel Mask for painting.

First Update:

Ok. I can see that I didn't need to fit the bars in the bottom of the tub as they are for an articulated suspension which I don't require but no bother. I've assembled the front drive cogs, road wheel fittings and rear section. I fitted the Brass Shackles and plastic holders as the holders fill a big gap and bring something interesting to this first blog update!

I wanted to get the rear fully decked out but I've been having bad pains in my wrist (no jokes please) and think it's RSI from the office as I've done a LOT of PC work this week so I've put a stack of Tiger Balm on my wirst (I said NO jokes) and hand which should see me okay to really get involed tomorrow as I've the day to myself and know what I want to get done. The usual Saturday Family visit obviously delayed progress but it's always nice to see them of course.

Final thought is what do I leave off for firring after painting? Jack and Jack Block, tools etc - food for thought?

Here's where we are - I'll get a lot more done tomorrow

If you have any comments etc I'd love to read them plus any photos too.

My thanks to David Byrden, Steve at Armour Models and enyone else who has added their help so far.

WIP update tomorrow,

Ben

Edited By Robin Buckland on 13/11/201

Donald Catchpole12/11/2011 20:48:20
177 forum posts
I built this kit a Number of years ago and due to some of the features I strongly suggest friuls for this kit 1 because the suspension functions on it unless you glued these. its very rare to see a working suspension on a tiger in this scale. The radiators and fuel tanks were a nice touch kind of begs for a full interior though.

Some of the photo etch gave me grief though and I couldnt get the bases to stay on the shells for the live of me (the photo etch bucket was pretty cool though as were the shovels and whatnot. I will follow this to see how yours turns out,
John Prigent12/11/2011 21:07:32
2267 forum posts
490 photos
1 articles
If I remember correctly you don't get the mesh screens for the grills in this kit, or maybe they aren't quite correct - can anyone else comment? And if my memory hasn't played tricks, how to get the correct ones?

I'm watching anyway .
Cheers
John
Ben Hinks12/11/2011 21:21:27
1644 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by John Prigent on 12/11/2011 21:07:32:
If I remember correctly you don't get the mesh screens for the grills in this kit, or maybe they aren't quite correct - can anyone else comment? And if my memory hasn't played tricks, how to get the correct ones?

I'm watching anyway .
Cheers
John

Hi John,

Yep, it has 4 REALLY nice mesh screens OOB.

All the best,

Ben
Wouter13/11/2011 09:24:40
4620 forum posts
1901 photos
You'll find this a nice kit indeed. I built it last year with some AM stuff and it's a fun build. If you don't want to use the supplied tracks you can use some MasterClub initial tracks as I did (superb look and quality!) or Friuls, I noticed that they recently released the initial tracks (mirrored) as well.

If you don't mind I'll post the result of my effort with this kit:

As you can see it's also number '100'. The sidebins are no PzIII bins btw. What you can do is to remove one of the sidebins because apparantly '100' lost one of the bins during it's (very short) combat life.

Cheers

Edited By Wouter on 13/11/2011 09:24:53

John Prigent13/11/2011 10:21:15
2267 forum posts
490 photos
1 articles
Those screens certainly look good Ben - it must have been old age creeping up on me.
Cheers
John
Ben Hinks13/11/2011 11:40:22
1644 forum posts
87 photos

Hi chaps,

Lovely work there Wouter - may I ask how you painted her and if you blogged it?

I'm thinking a reverse cammo method of white base coat with the underlying grey laid on top - then weathered to suit.

Thanks for sharing buddy.

All the best,

Ben

Craig Hiscock13/11/2011 12:48:54
16774 forum posts
6038 photos
11 articles
Another to follow. This is a great kit Ben you should have lots of fun with it.

Wouters Blog can be found here

Craig
Wouter13/11/2011 12:50:46
4620 forum posts
1901 photos
thanks Ben ^^, Craig got the link indeed.

I sprayed the Tiger first with Panzer grey - color modulation style, and after that I did the whitewash with the hairspray method: quite rewarding and easy to do .

Cheers
Ben Hinks13/11/2011 14:51:50
1644 forum posts
87 photos
Cheers guys,

Great blog and PE work Wouter and thanks for the link Craig. David Bryden has been giving me some helpful pointers but I'm sat here now and a couple of ???'s have popped into my head.This is certainly going to be more of my more challenging builds as I build more Tamiya stuff than anything but out of the Dragon stuff I've built so far this looks like fun.

A couple of questions - my wrist is playing havoc with me so I'll only be doing a bit of assembly work each session until it's pain free. I got to the point that I marked on my build guide yesterday and today I want to get the bulk of the rear section on today i.e. exhausts, fenders and little odd's and end's. I'll be taking my time on this one so no rush plus I don't want to aggravate my wrist too much.

1) Dragon asks for the two protruding nubs for the starter plate between the exhausts on the '100' to be removed. I saw you did that Wouter so I assume I'm all ok to lop them off then?

2) I like to leave some part off the build to allow for full access to parts for brush painting and full detailing etc. for affixing to the tank after painting the basecoat(s) have been applied. I'm thinking of items like the Jack and Block and anything else could be secured properly after painting.

Any other 'snippets' of advice that you guys have and feel may help me please pass it on!

I'm off to do a bit now so I'll see how it goes.

All the best

Ben

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
MIG Productions
EuroMilitaire 2014
Advertise
Fantasy Printshop
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website