By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hello from Northern CA, USA

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Halfin22/03/2012 04:43:13
3 forum posts

Hello to all,

I am an inexperienced modeller, and out of the building game for some time now, but desiring to begin anew at some point in the near future.

My first model was a Revell HH-3 "Jolly Green Gian" Helo at age 11, many , many years ago. From there I built a Pzspahwagen 222 by MRC at age 16, a 57 Chevy Finback from Revell at age 17, and a 1:700 scale USS Nimitz at age 20. After being deployed to Japan for a year in the service, I built a Revell Air Cav : Vietnam dual kit Kiowa Scout / UH1 D Huey Gunship combo kit; a PzKpw IIIE; a Maltida II; a SdKfZ 251/1; a BMW/Zundapp Motoercycle w/ dispatch rider; and a SAS LRRP Jeep; al lof those in rapid succession from Tamiya. The Tamiya models were then used in my first effort at a diorama, depicting a battle around El Guettar in North Africa, 1942. I used a wood base, and local dirt and sand from the airfield I was stationed at to recreate the sand / karst landscape, and it was ok, if a bit shiny in the painting ( all done by hand , no airbrush around.). I did get several compliments on such an involved effort, it was quite large , measuring 24" by 30". After returning to the US, with kits in hand for 2 other diorama ideas ( a Stalingrad scene around an unfinished but battle ready T-34c; and a flight line at Danang Air Base, RVN, 1967.) all kits form tamiya, the inf and AFVs in 1:35 scale and the airplanes in 1:48 scale, I began to build the t-34c, and also began using some of those nifty tips you find in the modelling hobby magazines like tissue and whit glue to make canvas, strectched sprue for radio antennae, etc, etc.

A house fire in 1996 cost me all the kits and my tools, and at that point, I stopped building. My interest is still around, and recently I acquired 3 Fine Scale Modelers Magazines, and a book on Armour detailing and conversions. The reading is very good at stirring my desires to build in 1:35 and 1:48 scale again, despite the investment "buy in" required to begin building in earnest.

I look forward to some of the many tips and ideas available here. I do not own and would rather not have to deal with; the hassles of using / owning an airbrush, albeit I know that the weathering process is much more handwork without one.

Mostly , there is a definite lack of local hobby shops to shop at. I remember fondly the days of models at many local stores, that is all but gone now, sadly. At least there are internet resources, and the recent issue of FSM I received have been a boon in that respect. Pricing has certainly increased also, esp in my chosen desire of scale sizes, but I do desire to begin anew.

Well met to all

Jon H

Bob M1Carbine Holmstrom22/03/2012 07:06:25
992 forum posts
1317 photos

Welcome aboard, great bunch of people here and everyone is here to help, just ask and we will be there for you.

Bob

Paul Gouldsborough22/03/2012 07:29:34
113 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Jon,

Welcome to MM, I am sure you'll find all the help and advice you will need on these pages, enjoy.

Paulface 1

Simon Hammerton22/03/2012 07:52:27
4980 forum posts
260 photos
2 articles
Hi Jon

Welcome to MilMod.com.

You're sure to find plenty to interest you here.

Simon
Brian O'Donoghue22/03/2012 08:28:05
1965 forum posts
781 photos
10 articles

Hi Jon,

Welcome aboard you will find plenty of advice help and friendship here.

Regards

Brian

jimbo22/03/2012 09:51:14
9015 forum posts
1394 photos

Hi Jon

Welcome to MilMod.

Jim

Ross Moore22/03/2012 10:21:58
4547 forum posts
961 photos

Hi Jon

Welcome to MM mate.

cheers

Rossco

Robin Buckland22/03/2012 12:02:23
11114 forum posts
36936 photos
3332 articles

Hello Jon,

Welcome back to the hobby, and to the Mil Mod website as well! thumbs up

Robin teeth 2

Tim White 122/03/2012 19:21:04
15142 forum posts
3013 photos

Jon

A very warm welcome to MilModthumbs up. You are absolutely correct, airbrushes are the work of the devil. face 20. Much can be achieved without one, and the only aim is you enjoying yourself. I do very much hope that you enjoy the site and the company.

Cheers

Timcat

SprueOne23/03/2012 03:30:49
667 forum posts
394 photos
Welcome back Jon.

You don't need an airbrush to build and paint models. There are plenty of techniques and methods without using one.

Have fun!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Casemate
MIG Productions
Barwell
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website