By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

RAF Artwork banned

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ghostbuilder31/03/2012 12:27:52
3083 forum posts
1054 photos

Carl.

I have to agree with your point about Axis modellers.

I have made comments such as "Not another German model" from time to time but only because it's nice to see some Alied stuff too but for sure, if it's a German subject it needs the correct markings, as does any other.

I would not associate you or anyone else with a particular brand of politics because you choose to paint an SS figure and that you have had personal abuse for it is sad to hear.

Most of my stash is German or Axis because I find it interesting, not because I'm a Nazi teeth

Now..... Must go dig out that Sherman to show support for Uncle Sam! wink 2

Richard.

Chris Meddings31/03/2012 12:36:36
9732 forum posts
769 photos
Posted by Ken Holland on 31/03/2012 10:24:05:
Posted by Chris Meddings on 31/03/2012 04:13:06:

Sorry Andy, but I don't see what the German swastika ban has to do with the first Gulf War?

And neither of them have anything to do with the original theme of this thread - which in case you've all forgotten is the (IMHO) disgraceful actions by the RAF in trying to ban the RAF roundel from use by anyone but themselves unless it's licenced...

Quite right Ken, getting back on track this is about the RAF symbols

Rereading the linked threads and news reports though I'm not sure its actually saying there is some sudden crack down on the use of RAF symbols

The original poster in the linked thread that sells artwork says that they were sold described as Royal Air Force

The way copyright works is that in the case of words and phrases in and of themselves cannot be copyrighted. It just isn't possible.

However, if somone uses Royal Air Force as a phrase to sell something it can be argued that they are attempting to sell it as an official thing produced by the Royal Air Force in order to use the reputation of the RAF to sell their product.

This is a copyright infringement because the seller is sort of using the trademark to sell it as an RAF product rather than a product produced by someone else.

In his case ( and its extremely hard to judge his case because the only info presented in the argument is from one source which means it may be incomplete or presented in a misleading way, although it might not of course) it looks as if this principle has been implied in a particularly tenuous way, but still probably correct within copyright law

As to the RAF's possession of copyright (or more correctly, not the RAF but actually the MoD and Crown Copyright) why ever should they not possess it? Consider Ben Sherman; the clothes maker. They have been using the roundel to make money for donkey's years. Does the crown, and through the crown; the exchequer and all of us not deserve to have a share in the money they make using our national symbol?

In my opinion, any commercial use should be required to be authorised by the RAF before use so that serious commercial concerns can pay the fees due to use it and smaller ones like custom decal companies maybe given permission gratis

As for the Veteran bullied by the MoD legal department, again we con't know all the facts as journalists often omit more information than they include, but it sounds to me more like this one is down to some overzealous legal suit in the copyright dept doing something very stupid which will jeopardise his future job prospects. As hide bound and red tape wrapped the MoD may be, I'm sure they aren't so stupid as to invite such a public relations disaster as a matter of policy. It wouldn't surprise me if they have already climbed down over this pretty sharpish

There is a point in there that he calls it teh RAF Forum and the RAF may feel he is misrepresenting it as teh official RAF forum, but simply politely asking him to put a small note on the site saying that and some reciprocal links would have solved any such issues I would have though!

Edited By Chris Meddings on 31/03/2012 12:37:30

Harvey Pincis31/03/2012 13:35:05
2019 forum posts
142 photos
Posted by Chris Meddings on 31/03/2012 12:36:36:
:

As for the Veteran bullied by the MoD legal department, again we con't know all the facts as journalists often omit more information than they include, but it sounds to me more like this one is down to some overzealous legal suit in the copyright dept doing something very stupid which will jeopardise his future job prospects. As hide bound and red tape wrapped the MoD may be, I'm sure they aren't so stupid as to invite such a public relations disaster as a matter of policy. It wouldn't surprise me if they have already climbed down over this pretty sharpish

There is a point in there that he calls it teh RAF Forum and the RAF may feel he is misrepresenting it as teh official RAF forum, but simply politely asking him to put a small note on the site saying that and some reciprocal links would have solved any such issues I would have though!

Edited By Chris Meddings on 31/03/2012 12:37:30

100% Chris. thumbs up

Harvey Pincis31/03/2012 18:04:08
2019 forum posts
142 photos

Ok.... its off topic but I just HAD to share this vid I stumbled upon.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rxASx1SxY&feature=related

To be clear I have no political or economic affiliations to the airline business..... wink

Enjoy!

Ghostbuilder31/03/2012 18:11:13
3083 forum posts
1054 photos

Harvey sir.

Just SO funny, I just watched it and I'm still laughing too hard to type straight! star star star thumbs up

Richard.

Richard Wilson31/03/2012 18:17:48
1241 forum posts
1123 photos
1 articles

Very funny....but perhaps a warning about the language....a family site after allsmile

Cheers, Richard

Harvey Pincis31/03/2012 18:18:30
2019 forum posts
142 photos

One benefit of Google predicting type, I was looking up fasces and found Fascinating Aida and stumbled on this! LOL

Harvey Pincis31/03/2012 18:21:21
2019 forum posts
142 photos

Fair point Richard, though I must admit I learned at school words I never knew existed... and I am not referring to classical Greek!

Andy Smith 131/03/2012 18:31:08
4610 forum posts
1857 photos

Harvey.......Simply brilliant sir!!!, very funny indeed!!teeth 2,

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
MIG Productions
Advertise
EuroMilitaire 2014
Casemate
Fantasy Printshop
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website