By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

AFV Club Infantry Tank MkIII Valentine MkII

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Meddings23/04/2012 16:52:49
9779 forum posts
781 photos

OK, so its been a long time since I've done a full blog on here, but I sure don't blog anywhere else so I figured it was time to start a new onewink 2

A while ago I bought the AFV Club Valentine MkI, but its still in a container while we wait to move into more permanent residence. The birthday styrene gods smiled on me recently though with some plastic tokens and after seeing the superb job Chris Smith is doing on his elsewhere and hearing how good the kit is I thought I'd get a MkII to play with teeth 2

For those that do not know, the Valentine was the most numerously produced British tank of WWII at around 8000 tanks built. It served in every theatre, including Africa with British and Commonwealth forces, NWE as an OP tank for anti-tank units, especially archers, in the Far East with Commonwealth units and in Russia with Soviet tank units.

In British front line service it was replaced in 1942/43 by the Churchill but continued in action in the Far East as a gun tank until more or less the end of the war.

Produced by Vickers it was designed to meet the demands laid down by the war deparetment for an infantry tank; a heavily armoured tank used as a breakthrough tank in conjunction with industry against fixed defences and enemy defensive lines. It was also designed to use as many parts as possible from the less successful A10 'Heavy Cruiser' and it shared many parts including the suspension, track, armament and other features although visually it was radically different in design

its thick armour and 2pdr, which at the time was an excellent anti-tank gun and more than a match for its Italian opponents and Pzs I, II and early PzIIIs of the DAK

However, as the later MkIII panzers, and PzIVs came into action in Africa, and especially as more 88s were deployed the need to upgun it was identified.

It was first upgunned to a 6pdr and eventually to a 75mm, but both guns took up a lot more room in the turret which made the tank more difficult to fight, and as the Matilda proved more durable, and the Churchill outstripped both, it was gradually more and more obsolete in British front line tank units, although it did survive in small numbers in other roles

In Soviet service it was used from the battle of Moscow right up to the end of the war. Although no-one liked its gun, its reliability, mobility and armour were all well liked by soviet crews. Of the 8000 valentines produced, 3487 went to the Soviet Union making it by far the most numerous British tank provided to Russia and second only numerically speaking to the Sherman (3600)

a quick look on the web has found some top inspiration

And there are certainly lots of options out there for finishes! But I decided to go british of coursewink 2

Chris Meddings23/04/2012 16:57:57
9779 forum posts
781 photos

So I couldn't resist cracking the box right away and getting startedsmile d

Construction, unusually, starts with the hull tub which is, as is increasingly more common these days, a multipart affair.

Fit is superb and clean up required on parts is minimal. Detail is incredibly crisp and I just can't wait to paint it!

This is already about 50 parts and we've barely begun but the extra pieces are really making for some great detail

More soon

Chris

Ken Holland23/04/2012 17:12:27
4743 forum posts
2559 photos

Nice one Chris - like you said, it's about time we saw another Meddings Masterpiece.

I've got the AFV Club Valentine Mk I in the pile so I'll watch this with interest (and hopefully pick up some hints'n'tips along the way). thumbs up

jimbo23/04/2012 17:16:01
9075 forum posts
1422 photos

Hi Chris

Looking good.

Bookmarked - I enjoy your builds thumbs up Thanks for the potted history, most interesting and sort of sets the scene. First question if I may. "Are those tracks plastic or metal and what are the kit tracks like?

Jim

Simon Hammerton23/04/2012 17:23:17
4997 forum posts
260 photos
2 articles
Hi Chris

Definitely up for this.

Bookmarked

Simon
Chris Smith23/04/2012 19:00:31
1749 forum posts
337 photos
7 articles

Hi Chris,

I'll be following along with interest Now get it's Chav white tracks on

Chris

John Prigent23/04/2012 19:05:25
2344 forum posts
490 photos
1 articles

Oh goodie gumdrops! I'm following with great interest, since my AFV Club Mk II and track set have arrived so I can watch how you get on with this one smiley.

Cheers

John

Danny.dj.23/04/2012 19:24:24
1287 forum posts
746 photos

I have pulled up my chair and am watching with intrest Chris!smile

Danny.

VI23/04/2012 20:41:55
2663 forum posts
992 photos

Hi Chris,

Looks like a good subject, count me in.smile

Cheers

VI

Johnny Gers23/04/2012 20:56:32
13111 forum posts
3675 photos
Here's Johnny. Will follow this.

Johnny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
MIG Productions
Barwell
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Casemate
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website