By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

DML JS-2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary3328/12/2014 06:22:21
2106 forum posts
1546 photos

Hi again.

Okay. Another drive, but this time home and in not so sweltering heat. Still, came home and everyone was just famished. Can't beat life out on the road I suppose....

So, on with the long term goal of getting the electrics done for the turret. I've had to make some adjustments as you will know, and this time around it has mainly to with the mg magazine racks,which there are 5 to deal with. There were two problems. One, I'd only made 3, and of those, two were of the wrong shape as I discovered much later (I suppose at that time most of my efforts were aimed at completing the engine block).

Also, thanks to the magic of photography, I noticed that there are two sheet metal strips, bent into a semi circle which help to "wedge" the magazine tightly into its space. Well, having discovered the magic properties of pie foil (if there was truly ever a modellers material...) I decided to modify the correct rack, build two others of the same , and completely rebuild the others and add the two retainer strips....

img_3112.jpg

Here are my "CD" racks from 2 years ago. The central one is the one I kept and modified. The two flanking it were, as I imagined, the racks that line the fringe beneath the turret ring on the LHS looking forward.

img_8674.jpg

You know, this was the third time I'd set out to make these. The first two times I hadn't measured correctly and ofcourse they didn't match dimension wise the racks made 2 years ago....

img_8677.jpg

Those little strips just about took me to the cleaners but in the end I think they were worth it. I'm glad that little farce is over. face 21

Ahmm. Next up, I'll look at some of the other things that need to be fabricated. Perhaps the intercom. There is the radio as well, which has been made (again, about 2 years ago). I'll start to position stuff and get an idea of how things fit together. Ofcourse, there is also the rebuild of the breech block and recoil guard, as well as how/where they mount on the trunnions.

Happy days!

Cheers

Gary

Gary3301/01/2015 08:44:45
2106 forum posts
1546 photos

Happy New Year folks!

Had a quite day today, got up early (out of necessity unfortunately). Said some early morning goodbyes to family.

So, what else is there to do? Getting on with the breech and recoil guard. Yeah.

WIP on a WIP!

I've only recently found a set of plans for the gun itself (plan and side elevation), and have been using this to base all my measurements on. There have been other finds on the internet, but this has been the most important.

The build previously was cramped (overly), with very little room being available for the gunners sight. I know that was the truth in reality (the late war version had a wider mantlet), but my version was far too tight. So, with new plans, I began to build anew.

img_8790.jpg

img_8792.jpg

This is, I'm pretty sure, the basic shape. It is narrower than the original I built, which means there will be enough room to position the sight properly. I've used 1mm styrene sheet for the major construction, which is a box this time, which is a first for me. I've always tended to go for laminates - filing and whittling to shape.

img_8794.jpg

Recoil cylinders and a facade for the wedge that closes the breech.

img_8801.jpg

A start on the guard/cradle for the breech. LHS guard above. The guards are .25mm sheet.

img_8798.jpg

img_8814.jpg

...and tucked in against the block. I'll build the floor and connect both sides of the guard and the cradle together before attaching the whole assembly together.

And finally some shots of the old compared to the new! I got the height right by my mk. one eyeball method, but not the length or the width. Some of the detailing is also way out.

I put that down to excessive drink at the time....

img_8819.jpg

img_8825.jpg

Thanks for looking in and it's been a pleasure getting back to blogging this. To absent friends!

Gary

Edited By Gary33 on 01/01/2015 08:47:15

Christos Athanasiou01/01/2015 09:22:19
2094 forum posts
261 photos
1 articles

Gary,

You know that gun of yours remind me of the gun that John Malkovich built to assassinate the President in the film "In The Line Of Fire"; I am sure it is going to be fully functional once done!

I think I have said this before, but I have to say it again. Your scratchbuilding skills are amazing, but above all I really admire your patience, planning and executing, simply remarkable!

Christos

Durk01/01/2015 10:42:28
1435 forum posts
684 photos

Hi Gary, Happy New Year! Intriguing to watch you build up all these componentssmile.

DIRK

Gary3301/01/2015 18:56:17
2106 forum posts
1546 photos

Thanks Christos,

that's very kind of you! Yeah, that plastic gun that Malkovitch's character assembled together - does bear a certain resemblance!

Hi Dirk,

thanks for dropping by! The thing with the rebuild of these parts is I'm pretty sure none of the stuff I've gotten from the net recently (that 2 elevation plan, side elevation etc) was available when I started. Could have saved some time but what the heck it's interesting to see some of the decisions I made back then to get around it.

Cheers

Gary

Choen Lee13/09/2017 18:02:40
2 forum posts

My jaw dropped on the floor.

It's still nowhere to be seen today.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Hobbylink November 2
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest