Renault R-35

Classic Heller kit going through a rework

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Bannerman22/11/2012 01:01:32
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

"oui oui Pierre..... des violons de l"automne blessent mon coeur d'une longeur monotone" devil

Arthur - aluminum tubing that I purchased at the hobby store. Cut clean with a jeweler's saw and run a rounded dremel bit into it to reduce thickness of the aluminium at the opening. Very soft and manageable. I don't know manufacturer name. The hobby store has heaps of the stuff in various sizes. I purchase various sizes for a few dollars. For short barrels, this stuff is ideal and much cheaper than AM turned barrels.

Will post photos tomorrow on how to use aluminum tubing for the barrels.

Mark

Mark Bannerman22/11/2012 23:34:44
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

A bit of detailing using P&D and a few bits of OTM etch, Still much more detailing to go. The turret comes in two pieces and I have not glued these yet. I want to attempt to detail the interior of the turret.

renault g3.jpg

Edited By Mark Bannerman on 22/11/2012 23:41:11

Mark Bannerman23/11/2012 02:07:35
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

...and the rear exhaust made from aluminium tubing and Tamiya tape

renault g1.jpg

jimbo23/11/2012 09:43:44
8799 forum posts
1354 photos

Hi Mark

This is really turning into a top quality build. Very neatly and cleanly put together and all your "extras" raise this model to another level. I'm very interested to see what you do with the interior.

Jim

Mark Bannerman23/11/2012 11:03:46
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

Hi Jim - I have just come into some nice photos of the interior of the turret so I will make an attempt to scratch the parts. There really isn't much in the inerior of the turret because it is so small and most of it is taken up by the breech.

M

Dave Hughes 123/11/2012 18:21:20
1589 forum posts
644 photos

Hello Mark,

You have done great work on what might be considered an unwanted/unloved kit. Outstatnding job on breathing life into an older kit. I expecially like what you've done with the aluminum tubing.

beer

Dave

Tim White 123/11/2012 18:43:54
15142 forum posts
3013 photos

Mark

Interesting discussion on the colours, looking forward to seeing what you come up with, certainly something a bit different. Very much admire the care and attention you're giving to this lady of advanced yearsthumbs up.

Cheers

Timcat

Mark Bannerman23/11/2012 23:17:11
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

Thanks chaps - I have a few (three actually) of the classic 70's models on my workbench undergoing surgery. I figure it was time to really put my patience to the test and make a go of these. The Heller Somua is another undergoing major plastic surgery wink

Tomorrow morning will be dedicated to adding the remainder of the etch from the OTM set - and looking to see if any of the Eduard Hotchkiss H-35 etch is applicable - though I sense probably not and may just use styrene for any bits that OTM did not offer...

renault g2.jpg

Jumping foward a few steps - looking at paint schemes, and this is the one I am rather partial to.

Four colours with demarcation lines. Three of the colours look spot on but wondering about  that fourth colour - the light pea green colour on the turret. Anyone have any thoughts ? I have seen many colour plates and the light pea (sometimes greyish blue) seems to always show up (?!). I also found a French reference that refers to a "vert pale" (pale green) ....

x r35-sans mark-.jpg

Edited By Mark Bannerman on 23/11/2012 23:32:50

Mark Bannerman24/11/2012 16:08:35
2870 forum posts
1422 photos
5 articles

The etch is on - moving on with styrene and accessories (tools, chains etc...).

renault g2.jpg

Michael McLaughlin24/11/2012 16:12:36
5483 forum posts
2664 photos
11 articles

Hi Mark,
That is almost unrecognisable as the old Heller kitthumbs up

Regards
Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Advertise
Fantasy Printshop
EuroMilitaire 2014
Casemate
MIG Productions
The Airbrush Co Ltd
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website