By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

1:32 Trench Sections

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Belsey 203/11/2015 13:58:15
1982 forum posts
1130 photos

You're right Lieven. Wire is a much better idea. Thanks! All I need now is the right gauge wire. I have it too thin and too fat at the moment! Doh!

Callmehobbes03/11/2015 23:14:01
183 forum posts
10 photos

I've seen a similar technique for cans using old drinking straws. Good stuff.

Paul Eberle04/11/2015 00:08:56
2749 forum posts
1735 photos

I've used small electric motor winding wire from old blow dryers, hand vacs, etc. for a variety of scratch projects. One motor provides years of wire. Paul

Andrew Belsey 204/11/2015 19:03:14
1982 forum posts
1130 photos

Thanks Paul. I too use fine copper wire from electrical windings, but i have found some copper wire the right guage.

I've made some new rings for my cans. Many of you will know how to make rings, but for those who don't, here's how.....

Wind your wire around a rod to the size you require.

Then cut the spiral with a scalpel and the individual rings will drop off.

You will need to tweek the ends together as they are slightly apart from being a spiral.

Looking at the enlarged photo I can see that my rings still need a bit of attention. This is how rings were made for chain mail, so it's obviously not my method. It's been done like this for centuries.

Peter Day 105/11/2015 08:43:04
6434 forum posts
1889 photos

Mind-blowing stuff Andy, and I'm sure that we've all learned a lot from this thread - not enough to depive you of your income though I hope!

Richard Foenander05/11/2015 11:11:14
3894 forum posts
4642 photos

Hi Andrew,

Splendid stuff all round. Have been busy and switching jobs which explains my absence from commenting here. You're not alone when response is scarce but take heart that the numerous viewers here are enjoying your work which is a masterpiece.

I was about to comment about the arm but John's done that already.

A colleague of mine once visited the IWM and talked about the trenches display and said I should see're saying it's all gone and changed...dang missed it. That's one of the placed I'd like to visit if I get the chance.

Looking forward to your Bully Beef cans.

Andrew Belsey 207/11/2015 17:48:11
1982 forum posts
1130 photos

I've started to make some more cans, as I thought that the Mk2s were a little squat. Meanwhile, I got out some prints, that I made for the first batch of sections. These are some ciggie packets. I reduced the images in the picture and then drew some flat kits, which I then reduced again to 1:32 scale.

The 'flat packs' are at the bottom of the photo. When folded they will make tiny boxes, which glue together to make packets. I fold them using my fine tweezers as my fingers are just too big and I have to do it under magnification these days.

I stuff a little silver foil into the open end.

There are a couple of them in this shot on my 'Wet Soil' trench. I'm adding a couple into my dugout. In this photo are some more cans whick I made from foil tape, as I wanted them open. The 'flimsy' petrol/water can was also made from the foil.

Callmehobbes07/11/2015 19:56:58
183 forum posts
10 photos

Nobody should be able to put that much detail into such small items. Top job again.

Andrew Belsey 207/11/2015 20:28:15
1982 forum posts
1130 photos

I used to do it with my naked eyes. I built this with no magnification. The gun has about 80 pieces - but many are custom drawn etchings, so that's cheating! I did add handles which are 10 thou styrene rod and about 0.5mm long. I biult a lot of it with 2 pairs of tweezers. Small stuff is my speciality.

Andrew Belsey 208/11/2015 18:01:35
1982 forum posts
1130 photos

Here are some more examples of using the metal foil tape.

'Corrugated iron' created using some styrene rod and section as a former, which I compressed it in.

Petrol/water cans, where I used it to wrap around a foam block.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ February
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest