By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Russian Uniforms, WW2

Correct colours

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Leigh Cole10/05/2013 20:42:28
55 forum posts
37 photos

I have noticed a wide range of colours used. Here is my guess. Regular smocks, trousers, most say Khaki (Tamiya XF-49). Then I bought a tube of Vallejo Russian Uniform WW2. The Vallejo colour looks more green than the khaki. I can't decide what to use as some sources look brown others green. Is this just a normal variation that actually occured? I noticed the winter "quilted" jackets and trousers tend to look more brown. Was there a colour change, say from41-43 to 44-45? As for the tankers, I have seen pictures of helmets in black or brown. The coveralls seem to run the gamut from black, blue to khaki. Is this correct, as well? Thanks in advance. Most pictures are black and white, so I have hundreds that are no help!

john keogh 111/05/2013 10:41:46
2120 forum posts
414 photos

Hi Leigh, go to the web site of Colorado minatures on their home page left hand side is a menu select Info vallejo paints scrool down and you will find a breakdown for soviet and nearly every uniform there is forWW2 they are all vallejo paints but their pretty good I printed it off great reference. hope this helps.smile

Eddy Willems11/05/2013 10:46:32
182 forum posts
288 photos

For me the ultimate site for Russian uniforms

http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/

Eddy

Edited By Eddy Willems on 11/05/2013 10:47:47

john keogh 111/05/2013 11:25:52
2120 forum posts
414 photos

Me again, try Farnworth soviet uniform colours ww2 I just googled it nice page with basic uniform colours and variants with vallejo numbers.

Leigh Cole11/05/2013 14:53:37
55 forum posts
37 photos

TY! I will check these all out. I really like the Vallejo acrylics alot. Especially the tube they come in and the wide variety of colours. I use them with Tamiya paint nearly exclusively now. I always thought I knew the Soviet uniform colours till I started to notice variations between the two companies paints, the box art and even wartime colour pics....and of course, if nothing else,(my skill level isn't on par with all of yours, but thats why I am here!) I can at least be a stickler for authenticity!

Leigh Cole11/05/2013 14:57:44
55 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Eddy Willems on 11/05/2013 10:46:32:

For me the ultimate site for Russian uniforms

**LINK**

Eddy

Edited By Eddy Willems on 11/05/2013 10:47:47 Eddy, TY! This went immediatly to my favourites! Very helpful!

Leigh Cole11/05/2013 15:01:20
55 forum posts
37 photos

I hope I got the reply and quote post thing right! Just in case, Edy, that is an awesome site! I notice the "khaki" tends to be off shade of each other here too. Iwent to a Russian WW2 reenactors site and they told me that is normal athe soviet productions were no way close to the German penchant for uniformity. Infact, they recommend the trousers should NOT match the blouse! Thank you for the help!

Paul C11/05/2013 16:25:53
3277 forum posts
6225 photos
4 articles

Also, bear in mind that a substantial part of war aid from Great Britain to the Soviet Union consisted of cloth and textiles for manufacturing uniforms. This was exactly the same shade of khaki used by the British Army during WW" - so a goodly proportion of Red Army soldiers would have been wearing Soviet tunics or trousers, but in British army khaki drill. So any colours used for WW2 British uniforms can also legitimately be emplyed here. to add to the non-conforming varieties.

fast eddie11/05/2013 17:20:17
902 forum posts
109 photos

I painted up a Russian guy the other week started with shades of Vallejo Russian uniform but I didn't like the look . Ended up repainting him with there English uniform with buff mixed in for highlights then chocolate brown for the shadows

Paul C11/05/2013 18:13:07
3277 forum posts
6225 photos
4 articles

RAGPW.JPG

If you can get hold of this, it's a magnificent reference source with lots of colour illustrations.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Barwell
The Airbrush Co Ltd
MIG Productions
Casemate
Advertise
Peaker
Howmans
Shopping Partners
3 Issues of Military Modelling for 1

Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Miltary Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Euromilitaire Website