Scammell Pioneer

Designed as a 6×4 off-road vehicle for use in Britain's colonies where sealed roads were scarce the Pioneer was first produced in 1927. Though lacking all-wheel drive, its combination of a suspension with great travel, excellent traction, and a low-revving engine gave it impressive pulling power on rough ground at low speeds. Though not designed for military use the British War Office purchased a single petrol engined example in 1932. Equipped as a tank transporter with a permanently coupled 18t semi-trailer it was assigned to a training unit but did not initially catch on. Additional transporters were not purchased until 1937.

From 1936, the British Army began to receive Pioneer heavy recovery vehicles. The first 43 delivered were designated the Pioneer SV1S and the Pioneer SV1T both with a 3-ton folding crane and lockers for recovery equipment and towing bars. Most of these early Pioneer recovery vehicles were lost with the British Expeditionary Force. The Pioneer SV2S had a simpler redesigned extending crane that provided greater lifting height; introduced in 1938 the SV2S would remain in production throughout the war with a total of 1,975 being built by the time WWII ended. The last Pioneer recovery vehicle was not retired from the British Army until the 1980s in Belize.

 Among the Pioneer's equipment was a pair of tracks that could be fitted over the two rear wheels, converting it temporarily into a half-track and giving greater traction on soft ground these were kept in the large storage cages under the cab doors.